Security Installer Community

Sensor Location Floorplan Check

MarkusG

Understood. Assuming no v drop issues can i daisy chain up to 3 eol terminated sensors on 8 core cable? One power pair and 3 zone pairs?

You can, I'd at least leave 1 spare pair on the cable for future though rather than using all 3 pairs.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Rkp in garage if you will ever want to use that as 1st entry point or last exit to/from house.

30 years of experience, ssaib approved family business.

We have a very long list of clients that we are very proud chose to use us. We have never bought out any other company or forced anyone to use us. All of our customers are free to leave us whenever they wish, yet very few ever have. This is down to the fact that we always put our best into every job.

http://alarmguard.co.uk

missed u the most matt.

Happy christmas everyone.....

But lets please keep it on topic :)

Keypad in garage was a suggestion based upon -----------------------If the system is awkward to use or changes your intended procedures of leaving or coming home, you may end up using the system less.

30 years of experience, ssaib approved family business.

We have a very long list of clients that we are very proud chose to use us. We have never bought out any other company or forced anyone to use us. All of our customers are free to leave us whenever they wish, yet very few ever have. This is down to the fact that we always put our best into every job.

http://alarmguard.co.uk

I'd always wire one 8 cored cable to each detector, even if you are only using 4 cores.

Screened cable is not required for anything on Texecom and yes IMO it is top quality stuff.

Smokes could be wired together on Latch but TBH it's not worth messing about like that.

Stick with one zone, one device, one cable.

It seems extra keypads have been mentioned I would say one upstairs on the landing will be handy.

It means in the night if the alarm activates you can locate the room before storming down the stairs.

One in the garage maybe pointless if it's not large enough for a car.

Maybe you could install the Hall keypad on the Hall/Garage wall then you only have to drill through to install a keypad in the future.

Remember any final exit door should have a contact on it to trigger the Final Exit.

Obviously cables installed to places for future expansion is handy but it depends how much protection you need.

Have you thought about a fixed PA button in the master bedroom or adj front door?

• 2 years later...

Holy thread resurrection etc. Sadly just after posting I fell ill and I'm only just getting back to full strength now and have decided to start back on the alarm...

Referring back to my floorplan in post #5 above I have a couple of question:

1. There is a curtain rail the protrudes out from the patio doors by around 15cm or so and ends within around 35cm of where the sensor is in the diagram. In this instance do you still mount the sensor in the corner or would you move the sensor (still mounted at 45 degs) around 15cm in to the room?

2. Would the hall sensor be better positioned near the front door or is the current position identified above best to avoid being triggered by post etc?

Welcome back.

1) Maybe consider the rear left corner instead? (position as if facing the front door)

The sensor will be of no use if hiding behind a curtain.

2) Are you considering a keypad upstairs to arm the system at night?

If not the sensor will need to be a walk-through zone anyway, could be front right adjacent the door but opposite the keypad.

However, if you arm it upstairs another option is make the hall full alarm and leave as post 5.

Thanks swb

1. I had considered the rear left corner but that has the same curtain rail issue for the window as opposed to the french doors. How much clearance do you need from the end of a curtain rail to the face of the sensor? Are there options other than pulling the sensors forward away from the corner?

2. I had considered this sensor position but due to the offset of the door to be able to see if from the other end of the hall it would have to move towards the wc door a foot or so. In a similar way to the lounge. The area just inside the door actually has a skylight in it too if that make any difference?

I think the corner sensors will look slightly strange moved away from the corners by a few inches, is that how you pros do it or am I missing something?