Security Installer Community

Recovery Software

Cubit

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had 3 SSD's from cruical turn to bricks. All back on SATA for workstations and glad kept my 15k SAS on the VMware hosts. In fairness to Seagate those Cheetah drives get an absolute beating, especially on IO requests from Webway's software and they are solid as anything.

And that is just one drive on machine. It is frightening how reliant on this tech we have all become. I was in the datacentre the other day and there must be 20,000 servers + in that building and I just couldn't comprehend the disruption and financial loss an outage in that building would cost. Although it costs a killing this is why we have backup on backup on backup as the dataloss would be unthinkable.

SSD failure tends to be really abrupt. Working one minute, not working the next, with no chance of data recovery.

All of my SSD failures have had warning signs in the SMART data, but none of the manufacturers produce a good SMART monitoring tool.

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

I have an old HD which failed days before I managed to suck all the data off, which

I'd been planning to do for years to convert it to Windows PC format, as its from my

old Acorn RiscPC and previous machines in the series I used to use until about 1999.

Someone once substituted the control board for the exact same for me (just happened

to be easier to send it off to them) but no luck.

Kept hold of it in case one day such low capacity drives (120MB I think) can be saved

for pennies, not £££s. Not that theres anything on there I really need I suppose.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I had cobbled together all the old hardware off ebay (I'd sold everything apart from the HD back in 2000 when it was still worth something,

far more than a normal PC was at the time) and been using the system on and off for ages. 2 days after the PC link software had arrived,

it died... With the RiscPC, the actual main OS was on ROM so it simply couldn't be read, end of, rather than it not booting up.

Like your Amiga drive I suspect there's nothing I really need on there but did have all my uni and college stuff, which I'd at least liked to

have kept as PDFs.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Archived