Security Installer Community

Recovery Software

Cubit

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I pay a few pounds to have a huge SkyDrive account. Why not let that handle it and sync to multiple machines as well?

Also if you have a spare old pc about make it a Linux server and use affa. Depending on the space required i could then back it all up in the cloud, or you could have another at home backing up work. We use that.

all data on main server at work. Backed up every 4 hours locally and also in 3 different off site locations. Its incremental backup useing rsync. Saved me a few times

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I run the 2013 version on a desktop mainly for the continuous file backup, never had a problem with Win 7

It's win8 where the problems start.

The 1st release of ATI 2013 was claimed to be Win* compliant, turns out it wasn't. An update was required to sort it.

2014 release suffered the same fate when win8.1 came out.

The problem was, acronis denied there was a problem and blamed others

With the updates the product is fine - but without the updates and using uefi you can find the backup don't work. And that's why i've had to use Recuva,

I pay a few pounds to have a huge SkyDrive account. Why not let that handle it and sync to multiple machines as well?

Also if you have a spare old pc about make it a Linux server and use affa. Depending on the space required i could then back it all up in the cloud, or you could have another at home backing up work. We use that.

all data on main server at work. Backed up every 4 hours locally and also in 3 different off site locations. Its incremental backup useing rsync. Saved me a few times

reckon space required would be miniscule.

not sure if its worth resurecting my old PC, its years old and in bits. But maybe worth aquiring one just for back-ups.

Would an external hard drive not surfice??

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

It's certainly grown. 58 servers and 21 pc's.

I thought you were into VM's - why the need for 58 servers ?  Or are you clustering the 58, then slicing and dicing the pool ?  Otherwise 58 sounds like a real admin headache.

reckon space required would be miniscule.

not sure if its worth resurecting my old PC, its years old and in bits. But maybe worth aquiring one just for back-ups.

Would an external hard drive not surfice??

if the problem comes via the mains you could fry all your hard drives

I thought you were into VM's - why the need for 58 servers ? Or are you clustering the 58, then slicing and dicing the pool ? Otherwise 58 sounds like a real admin headache.

Yes, 58 virtual machines on 3 hosts and 4 NAS servers.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Yes, 58 virtual machines on 3 hosts and 4 NAS servers.

Makes more sense. Bet some don't do much though!  I now run on Sun servers for development with pretty much everything else deployed via automated subversion build to the cloud. I don't touch Windows apart from within a few VM's on my nice big 27" iMac. Have just bought a new 24TB QNAP rackmount NAS as a better local backup solution. Runs incremental rsync via rsnapshot.  Can't beat the price and reliability of rsync :)

I've not used it personally, but it looks like another rsync wrapper script. I was using my own wrapper from a previous Sun box, but just implemented a simple rsnapshot schedule on the QNAP.  If it's rsync based, it'll probably be pretty decent.

yes, virus etc is down to your local users. If you use an attached hd disconnect it completly after backup. I lost a whole server with an attached usb backup drive. lost the lot even with a ups. But if its gonna happen it will happen to me.

I always disconnect hard drive after back-up, but ive never heard of a mains bourne incident frying a computer or hard drive. 

THis is what is what i asked if you had, had one.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

See what you mean. That's pretty good value compared to the competition.

I'm not a fan of block level or drive image backup for home backup. File based backup is a better idea. People care about their data, not their OS and programs or time taken to recover. I like re-installing Windows to clean things out every now and then. I've seen Acronis go wrong often enough when restoring that I'd avoid it.

This is what I do to keep my data safe:

http://cybergibbons.com/security-2/dont-lose-your-data/

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

And just in case anyone thinks it can't happen, last year I had the backup fail 2 days after the primary, before I could even get

the (warrantied) primary replaced...!

Not talking business here just MP3s (which were triple backed up) and films (which were not due to 3TB size)....

I sure won't be re-uploading all my DVDs anytime soon.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I've had 3 SSD's from cruical turn to bricks. All back on SATA for workstations and glad kept my 15k SAS on the VMware hosts. In fairness to Seagate those Cheetah drives get an absolute beating, especially on IO requests from Webway's software and they are solid as anything.

I almost needed it when it happened.

And that is just one drive on machine. It is frightening how reliant on this tech we have all become. I was in the datacentre the other day and there must be 20,000 servers + in that building and I just couldn't comprehend the disruption and financial loss an outage in that building would cost. Although it costs a killing this is why we have backup on backup on backup as the dataloss would be unthinkable.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Archived