Security Installer Community

Pyronix Tmd15 - False Activation

JasonOfOz

Hi Everyone,

We recently had 4-5 false alarms caused by this detector.

I've never had any issues with it before so perhaps it is faulty.

Funnily enough it is mounted next to a wireless access point (been there happily together for a while now, although it was installed after we put our detector up). The WAP can get quite warm.

Surely the WAP wouldn't trigger an activation? or would it?

We will be replacing it anyway just in case but I thought it would be worth getting your respective views as we can't seem to figure out what is tripping the detector. (only installed 12 months ago)

Thanks!

Jason

Very odd. How close is the WAP?

Check the frequency the WAP is using, the TMD I think is 10gHz microwave, the WAP if standard should be 2.4 or 5 gHz but I have seen some custom jobs at weird frequencies, might be worth checking

yes. They are10.6gHz. I don't know of any wifi that high. But if very close, it could be just the proximity. Still odd though.

I've seen some APs produce harmonics, especially if they are iffy brands or anyone is using custom firmware and pushing power outputs. Also dodgy switch mode power supplies. But they shouldn't cause problems with a microwave detector.

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

I can't see how there would be interference.

It's a Cisco WAP - aren't all devices CE marked for a reason?

So if it's not the WAP and it's generating an alarm condition, what else could it be? We are going to swap the detector out but it's difficult one to diagnose.

Possibly for another topic but are we as installers liable for the key-holder response charges if they are constantly getting "false" alarms?

If you are concerned bench test it. Or just wait until the new one either fails or stays secure.

As asked above, is it going into alarm on both zones i.e. confirming?

30 years of experience, ssaib approved family business.

We have a very long list of clients that we are very proud chose to use us. We have never bought out any other company or forced anyone to use us. All of our customers are free to leave us whenever they wish, yet very few ever have. This is down to the fact that we always put our best into every job.

http://alarmguard.co.uk

Archived