Security Installer Community

Should I Use Magnetic Contacts?

JonP

You do know they don't go on the hinged side don't you? if the system sets reliably each and every time they would set each and every time. Nothing more you can do imo.

i've worked in the days when plunger contacts were installed to the hinge side, but makes absolutely no difference ss the same rule applies - an insecure door is simply a false alarm waiting to happen.

i suggest anyone making sure key holders are aware of it will start to get their false alarm rate as low as mine.

edit to add

as i stated earlier, many people just can not be asked to run up stairs and close doors, or perhaps elderly and/or partially disabled to close and check all doors every time, i see it as part of my skill set to design my systems around my clients convenience and life styles, as well as security, that usability aids in its effectiveness because they will hopefully use their system that much more often.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Arf, you say in one post about arming with doors open, then say check doors secure to get your fa rate as low as yours. I'm confused?

plus what are your false alarm stats?

How would he know if he doesn't do remote signalling systems?

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Arf, you say in one post about arming with doors open, then say check doors secure to get your fa rate as low as yours. I'm confused?

plus what are your false alarm stats?

and i'm surprised i'm actually having to explain this tbh?

perhaps i should run an 'Arfurs blog' on false alarm causes and prevention, it seems an established trade art thats being lost.

fit the now traditional pir top of stairs, client see's little need to close bedroom doors (because they now don't have contacts). this is as was before motion sensors became both more reliable and less expensive, requiring less labour and tbh less skill (and why it has become very popular in recent years).

a moving door affected by draughts from open windows can reflect or 'discover' by movement away from them, exposes heat sources such as radiators, depending on the design many cheaper pirs, will cause falls alarms, just from this cause alone.

Intruders have little care for locked doors, if they want to get though, it gets kicked in. Very likely the glass or wood panel will cave in leaving the door contact complete with door undisturbed in the frame, or even the complete assembly go's with it, why i say a door contact offers little practical security on a securely locked door, against a Pir in that room or at least a shock on the door or patio door frame.

i don't need connected systems to know about false alarms or rates, my clients would soon call if they were to have any problems. they use me due to known long term reliability.

trust me, my handover patter is all based on proper operation and deliberately made hard to forget, they are told point blank the care i take and kit i use means i will suspect them way before the installation..

and if they ever do need help, they get it by simply calling my mobile anytime, and talk direct from the guy who installed it.

might be thats why my clients are so very careful ;).

my clients would soon call if they were to have any problems.

I doubt it. The only times I see customers calling is when they are forced to.

In truth arf you have no idea what your stats are as there is no reports available

Agreed. They could be 10 fa per year and he wouldn't have a clue.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

In truth arf you have no idea what your stats are as there is no reports available

you forget i used to have many monitored systems, not one was even warned let alone blacklisted in all those 20 years, so reported or otherwise you have to accept i get very few avoidable fault calls.

intruder system that are faulty, by their design generate great annoyance and that in turn generates complaints, even visits EH inspectors if ignored.

you want to play with stats i'd accept i don't get a call for every false alarm, but the pro rata based on the very low rate i do get, show my stats stack up.

if anyone can't accept that - well its not my problem :).

I doubt it. The only times I see customers calling is when they are forced to.

likely because of your exorbitant charges - not your high quality?

Agreed. They could be 10 fa per year and he wouldn't have a clue.

and that is a figure you could not match - even if mine were that high ;).

Archived