Security Installer Community

Requirements For Door Contacts

JonP

Evening,

Just registered, and spent a bit of time reading around - great forum!

Is it still the norm to fit front and rear door contacts as part of a domestic alarm install? If you are thinking "yes, why on earth not" - i fitted a few domestic alarms when i started as an electricians apprencice 15 years ago but not had much to do with them since. I recall fitting the surface and flush fitted ones (for internal doors), although since, noticed that sometimes properties don't always have them.

I guess this is a variance of:

The installer

The layout of the house (and getting cable neatly to the door perhaps)

The improved design on P.I.R's (i remember fitting pressure mats in one big house :roflmao: )

Thanks for reading.

Jon

Hi Jon and welcome to TSI.

The issue of setting method is one of the reasons why we use door contacts on approved systems but in the Wild West of domestic installs there are plenty without them and using pirs to trip the entry timer and systems using timed exit etc which is something that is perfectly fine in the non approved space.

Because we do approved installs, not really a choice for us but I wouldn't necessarily frown on someone who had omitted them on a non approved job.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the prompt replies. So, best practice - front door contact as a minimum.

I guess the ones i have seen without them must have been non-professional/not monitored by ARC jobs then.

If i were to do a sketch of my house, do you think someone would mind having a quick squiz at where i plan to put the components, or should i start a fresh thread for that?

cheers

Jon

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the prompt replies. So, best practice - front door contact as a minimum.

I guess the ones i have seen without them must have been non-professional/not monitored by ARC jobs then.

If i were to do a sketch of my house, do you think someone would mind having a quick squiz at where i plan to put the components, or should i start a fresh thread for that?

cheers

Jon

Not at all, post away.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Archived