Security Installer Community

Rogue Trader?

jollyroger123

Hi all,

Im new to this forum. I dont actually work in the security industy although I am a controls engineer so have similar traits.

Im just after some advice really regarding a recent service of a relatives burglar alarm.

To cut a long story short a bill for £660 was recieved as "apparently" the "main control box" had to be changed.....Hmmm seems steep!

Anyway I was suspicious so checked what work had been carried out only to find the main alarm panel did not look new and also the remote keypads which were apparently changed also had original paint on (nows that attention to detail if he did change them!).

I decided to call the engineer who attended as no report or reciept was left (apparently this would be sent in the post), I questioned exactly what work had been carried out and was told only the PCBs of the main alarm, and two remote keypads had been changed.

The alarm is an ADE Optima Compact with two Accenta remote keypads. I have seen these online could be purchased for under £100 retail!

My question is, do people still change PCBs? Can you still get just the PCBs? I was under the impression that in this day and age, and certainly in my profession, the whole lots gets changed not just the PCB??

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :proud:

Lewis

Perhaps he had spares.

Perhaps it would have not altered the decor, thus saving redecorating.

Perhaps if you had the ability to trace the fault he was not needed?

Perhaps you work for nothing?

Why were there no receipts or dockets signed?

Yes you can change a PCB.

Ask if you have any other questions.

He carrys out an annual service and "demonstated" to my grandmother that one of the sensors was not working but the whole control box would have to be changed. Im waiting to see the invoice to will checked if battery has been included.

I dont believe he changed the external sounder.

I thought about checking the issue number on the PCB, I suspect the original one would now be obselete. If the PCB had been changed could I cofirm it was new from issue number with manufacturer?

He carrys out an annual service and "demonstated" to my grandmother that one of the sensors was not working but the whole control box would have to be changed. Im waiting to see the invoice to will checked if battery has been included.

I dont believe he changed the external sounder.

I thought about checking the issue number on the PCB, I suspect the original one would now be obselete. If the PCB had been changed could I cofirm it was new from issue number with manufacturer?

ignoring the angry man above your post - it does sound a little strange.

-So would be worth changing PCB although a new unit cost £35 retail including new box?

-Surely a new keypad would have same dimensions, so no redecoration needed?

-This is a vunerable old lady who lives on her own, After I asked why there was no report or receipt left he said he would post it to me. He then rang me 10 minutes later and said there was a mistake with the price and it should have been £360. Would you not be a little suspicious too?

Nothing angry Gymmie.

Just simple points made.

A docket should have been signed.

A list of checks made and faults found.

And if a battery was needed to be changed, give us the numbers on the top we can tell you when it was made,

OP, you know a PCB is dated, who ever makes them. But old stock would show................................old dates.

-So would be worth changing PCB although a new unit cost £35 retail including new box?

-This is a vulnerable old lady who lives on her own, After I asked why there was no report or receipt left he said he would post it to me. He then rang me 10 minutes later and said there was a mistake with the price and it should have been £360. Would you not be a little suspicious too?

So, yes possibly

Surely . Nope, they change.

And why I asked , "why is there no docket" or similar.

Yes

-This is a vunerable old lady who lives on her own, After I asked why there was no report or receipt left he said he would post it to me. He then rang me 10 minutes later and said there was a mistake with the price and it should have been £360. Would you not be a little suspicious too?

I see your point. We sometimes change just the PCB's if thats all that is needed. With regards the keypads more likely to change the whole unit unless there is a compelling reason not to. £360 I don't think you are being done, orignal price seems a little high if all that was carried out was what you say.

Was the installer chosen an approved installer?

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

not knowing which area of the country you live but that price is more on a level with what we would charge (ish) 

seems strange to change a board for a detector fail.

Archived