Security Installer Community

Manuals

matthew.brough

Is a screenshot a real desire? I can add them if required but it will take forever with so many manuals. If you want a galaxy manual isn't the title enough? What value does the screenshot add?

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those not sure.

For the site owners whims.

We managed it before, just takes a bit of time. As you have noticed.

You and the rest of us agreed to "Make the best possible manuals section" So shall we do it right or take short cuts?

But I voluntered to help, not do every UL going.

I was just thinking its 18 months since the transfer of the manuals was talked about and only a small minority seem to have made it across. Maybe a plan would be to take a little more time on the popular makes such as galaxy with screenshots and skip the more rare ones for time reasons to get them live on the site?

PS  Galaxy

How many varients?

Like Aritech..............

Wait till I do BPT, seen the sub sections there?

I was just thinking its 18 months since the transfer of the manuals was talked about and only a small minority seem to have made it across. Maybe a plan would be to take a little more time on the popular makes such as galaxy with screenshots and skip the more rare ones for time reasons to get them live on the site?

Yes I know I was one of the first to ask for rights ect.

Now taken this long.

As I also said why all the older stuff.

This is like repeating myself 20 times.

And add screen shots its been asked for and makes searching for others easier.,

Thats it, I`m done for the night on this subject.

I wonder if there is some software that could automate some of it. Ill take a look. I don't mind doing the uploads as I have 100mb upload so it takes no time at all, it's the fiddling about that takes all the time. Ill see what I can find on the web.

One issue I have just noticed with the downloads section is, it's not good for searching.

Take Ziton for example if I want to find ZP-1 manual, type "ZP-1" or even "ZP-1F" at the top and there are no results.

Even if you type "Ziton" the only result is the "Ziton ZP3" I put there, even tho I know Matthew has put a good few in Ziton.

From a bit of testing I think there are potentially the following issues:-

* Searches seem to go lowercase, so it doesn't locate models well.

* Cannot search for less than three characters, so models can be hard to find.

* It only searches for names in the last directory, so if you don't put the manufacture in the title of the file it is not found.

I know you can look through the folders, but I thought the point of uploading here was for easy searching?

Should we agree on a standard title format as a solution?

Or can the search be made better through settings on IPB?

Archived