Security Installer Community

Mobile Phone Detection

BUSTER

We have been asked by one of our customers if we can supply a detection device that will detect a mobile phone being carried out of a premises by staff (distribution warehouse) through some kind of scanner. The phones will not be switched on and will not have batteries in (Brand new)

I have had one price from an American company of £6000

Anyone else been asked this and has anyone got a reasonably priced solution?

Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

A phone with no power, is just a lump of copper and plastic. Short of x-ray (and a human to watch the results) you will need to 'add' something to the phone that can be read from the required distance. Simplest / cheapest is medium range RFID tags - like all the major chain stores use. The downside is that someone will need to add the tags surreptitiously to the phones (or their boxes). Not every phone, but enough that the risk of getting caught is 'high enough'. Obviously if you can engineer someone to get caught, then the fear amongst the employees will be higher. Parcel depots do this - by planting "hi im a jiffy bag from carphone warehouse" type packages, knowing they will get nicked first. Sensormatic (Hertfordshire from memory) are the big players in the market - no particular link to them, and no idea on costs I'm afraid.

Or introduce random searches, door interlocks, even a "fake "X-ray" booth. Sorry if I just repeated Steve there on one.

A premesis I did lots of physical and electronic works to was a precious metals reclaimation facility and they had a random search turnstile and of course it was manned (Always went off when I went through, got rather suspicious in the end but hey ho :D )  Then I did another, a bonded warehouse near Heathrow doing exactly that, importing mobile phones. We grilled off every access point and all roof access ( To prevent egress as well as ingress) , a secure perimeter fence a fake x-ray "booth" and tripple door interlocks. But it made for slow entrance and exit of staff and customers (You cannot have it all).

Again a good method is to have a set up and have  a new "employee discovered" and then sacked on the spot.

Otherwise it wil be an expensive exercise I feel.

At the risk of sounding daft.

They are distributing high risk good, and loosing them, and you have a product that does what they want at only 6k

Id be thinking it would be a lot lot more than that anyway?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived