Security Installer Community

Cctv Power Backup

charepa

I would like to discuss a bit the pros and cons of using a UPS vs Battery (direct on switched PS) for CCTV cameras. This is for analog systems.

The way many people do it is use one UPS that can power both the DVR and cameras. It seems though the more professional way it to use a UPS only for the DVR and use a battery with a PS (that allows switched mode) for the cameras.

Some thoughts on using batteries for the cameras and on this:

1) Batteries are much cheaper than a UPS (some IR analog cameras have high current draws)

2) PS with switched mode options are more expensive

3) Batteries require more maintenance than a UPS? (I am being stupid on this since a UPS has batteries anyway, but maybe on their own they are subject to more failures?)

4) There are wiring and power cabling benefits and for both methods

5) With the UPS only method you only have to service every few years the battery of the UPS only. With the UPS and battery method you have to service and keep 2 different batteries in stock (UPS and PS)

6) ???

1) Batteries are much cheaper than a UPS (some IR analog cameras have high current draws)

depends on the cameras ie their voltage. this will work with 12v dc but not ac systems

2) PS with switched mode options are more expensive

not in my experience, switched mode is definetly the way to go due to client energy costs

3) Batteries require more maintenance than a UPS? (I am being stupid on this since a UPS has batteries anyway, but maybe on their own they are subject to more failures?)

no i dont agree both require regular servicing

4) There are wiring and power cabling benefits and for both methods

no again both have a similar core

5) With the UPS only method you only have to service every few years the battery of the UPS only. With the UPS and battery method you have to service and keep 2 different batteries in stock (UPS and PS)

you could use the same batteries in both systems

6) ???

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

• 1 month later...

A UPS IMO needs more care to be sure it will work and regular testing.

A friend has one thats the size of a average sized bathroom. Another I have worked on has a battery bank of about IIRC 500 batteries, but these are large premesis running a lot of servers and also security systems. The first also has the size of a 7.5 tonner lorry generator to also kick in. But he also runs a few thousand servers so this is of utmost importance to him and of course his clients. ( no downtime in all the years he has run his business).

This may get pulled but, idaq.com is a great web hosting service and the staff are really good and apart from aything else England based (probably obvious now lol) and the help desk is english speaking!!!!

look them up, they do great deals. ( No link added, I`m sure you can find it if you want).

Quote from their site "The building is protected by the latest in security and fire protection systems." Wonder who did that :-

Yes I did it.

As a govie? If you mean slinking off and stealing others kit no.

What I did/do in my spare time is my business. Went there by train, so no company vehcile used. All kit ordered ( well most, from Security Warehouse). He had sourced the CCTV kit himself.

Galaxy Dimension with Touch pad. Plus a couple of MK7`s. One by the panel for engineering purposes ( how often can you get that ehh!!!) 3 Smart RIO`s. Panel and RIO`s with 17ah batts.

4 or 5 (cannot remember exactly) Master Blasters. A couple of SAB`s.

M12`s with various settings used,

External detection even on the BT manhole covers ( I know, not entirely correct but to give waring on the two "pipes" incomming", he also has a second server backup in Manchester).

He has no requirement of Police responce but all is fitted to order and if the external "sneaky" detection were to be removed it would qualify for G3.

Is that a "Govie".

Also WTF is a govie?

A PJ?

Yes a PJ, I would bet your t's and c's would class that as a conflict of interest regardless of you getting there on the train, and where the kit came from.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

No.

This is where your totally incorrect.

I was allowed to do my own things as when THEY ASKED ME BACK I had it in the contract.

It was not to interfere with my day time or call out.

I have a few customers who will only use myself and if I cannot attend right away they will wait or I can send a friend to assist.

It has and never will interfere in my paid job,

In fact when a few decided to go for Police response I gave the systems to the company, with provenance of the purchases. And it was of course fitted to the same standards.

If I fit a system it is fitted to last and conform.

I have yet to be called out for an issue, A phone call for code changes and the like, that`s it.

Archived