Security Installer Community

Changing Wired Alarm Pirs

KeithS

Honeywell ADE Optima XM6 Alarm

New Honeywell Pet Friendly PIRs (Single Chanel quad PIR (IR103))

Need to fit new PIRs and possibly move one (extend / join cable).

Any comments on how to do it and avoid problems would be appreciated.

Thanks

Keith

Snip the cores one at a time so that you can refer to the old detector as to what colour goes where.

Check the instructions that came with your ptd,s make sure that the detector will not see your pet on the stairs etc. In my opinion the only pet detector worth having is the Bosch blue line

Thanks for that.

Trying to help someone who I think only knows how to arm / disarm the system. Therefore can you tell me what mode we need to put the alarm into before starting, e.g. an engineer's mode, or whatever so that we have no Tamper problems and we don't blow fuses etc?

Will the Bosch PIR work on this system and do you consider them so much better that it would be best to return the Honeywell ones and order them?

Thanks very much

Keith

You will need to put it into engineer mode but you can still blow fuses, electricute yourself die etc even in engineers mode

My own opinion is that the bosch units are good but the honeywell are too.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

You should down power the detectors to be on the safe side but for that you would need to open the panel and there is mains electricity in there. If you know how to put the alarm in engineer mode then this will stop the alarm from going off every time you tamper the system. But be careful what buttons you press once your in engineers, you can change zone ect without even knowing what you have done my advice is stay clear of engineer uless you are familiar. I have no idea if the Honeywell are any good I respect James's opinion but the Bosch are undisputed market leader pet detector.

I am very cautious with electricity even when I've isolated something but I also don't wish to poke around ignorantly and blow the pcb or whatever is in there. Similarly, I would be very careful pressing Engineer Mode buttons.

If I understand it correctly, I need to 1) Control the system to avoid the siren sounding, and 2) Isolate the PIRs while I change them.

I have an Optima XM leaflet describing how to go into Engineer Mode which I assume covers 1) but I'm not sure if it isolates the PIRs.

You mention 'power down the detectors' which is good but I'm not sure how to do this and is this an alternative to Engineer Mode?

With regard to make of PIR, there are two elderly slim cats that don't fly about but do climb onto chair backs, window boards, etc.

I would appreciate clarification of the best way forward.

Would like to say that I feel lucky having two knowledgable people give me advice.

Appreciated and thanks.

Keith

Once in 'engineers' mode you can take the lid off the control panel without it going apesh*t!, then locate the terminals that supply power to the pirs,+ and -, remove wires,this will allow you to work on the cabling without blowing any fuses,change pirs, put wires back into terminals,test,come out of engineers.

To be safe from potential electricution you could isolate the panel at the spur before removing the lid.

The panel will be running on battery only, little chance of getting zapped.

Then engineers mode will stop the internals from sounding.

Then isolate the voltages to the PIR's or down power the panel completely and let the external sound....

Can you just clarify your last line please.

'Then isolate the voltages to the PIR's or down power the panel completely and let the external sound.... '

1) How do I isolate PIRs - disconnect?

2) How do I down power completely - I understand spur?

3) What does 'let the external sound ...' mean?

Thanks

Keith

Archived