Security Installer Community

Bs5839 Escape Route Definition

gundog

I know that a cat LD3 is escape routes and rooms which form part of escape routes, but what about a bedroom with ensuite? Is this counted as 1 room?

It doesn't normally bother me but this particular property has a large bedroom with a large ensuite round the corner, the nearest sounder is 2 meters down the hallway, but if you were in the ensuite with all the doors closed the sound would have 2-3 doors to travel through!

Not going to get 65dba in the ensuite, would it be a best practice to fit another sounder in the bedroom?

Would really appreciate your views on this one gents........

Many thanks in advance..

Sound levels should be 65dB throughout regardless, and where people are sleeping it should be 75dB and the bedhead with the door closed, ensuite would be a low risk wet area, you could argue that the bedroom forms the escape route but I would argue that you would not spend enough time in the ensuite for it to make a great deal of difference

• 11 months later...

Agreed,  75db and a sounder in the room if needed, most are now flush and small enough to be inconspicious.

If commercial or disabled then sounder/strobe also in en suite.

No brainer really, got a DB meter?

Who did the RA?

I wouldn't cover the en-suite, only if it was a disabled toilet. even then i'd only stick in a strobe sounder.

quick question, is it domestic or commercial?

these are my opinions and not actual advice!

People who are hard of hearing would not usually use a disabled toilet. Would you not install a strobe in all toilets? Why only in a disabled toilet?

Surely a sounder in the ensuite and then you'll definitely be ok in there and possibly the bedroom as well. If not bite the bullet and put one in the bedroom as well.

We are not talking sounders we are talking detection, for escape routes. Sound levels should be 65dB throughout and 75dB in Bedrooms

Archived