Security Installer Community

Bentley Alpha V2/4 Info And/or Suggested Replacement

EdGasket

But the thing is I could afford to replace almost the entire system every year for less than the maintenance charge if I do the work myself.

Yes you could, but if it goes wrong at silly o clock in the morning you have to fix it too. I could do away with my car breakdown service and if I breakdown simply push my car to the nearest garage, when I think of the money I have paid out in breakdown service fee's when I never breakdown.....but I dont think I will

and neither would I. But I really don't need annual maintenance on an old alarm system that I can sort out myself. I get the impression that the 'trade' posters on here are very anti - DIY which is understandable but I didn't really come on the DIY forum to argue this point or be repeatedly told to pay the trade; rather for useful and helpful advice to get me up and running so I can support my existing alarm or if need be, swap it out for a new board myself. That is what DIY means.

I think the problem with this diy forum is you are the only DIYer, most diyers come here get the advice then go

The trade members are most likely to make sure that you understand the benefits of a service agreement its what we do for a living, I dont know anything about the accenta or the yale alarm, so I commented on what I do know about

Well I have my data sheet for the Alpha v2 now so I have a fighting chance of fixing/maintaining that. I would have thought someone could recommend to me a replacement panel on this forum? So far I have suggested two which have been poo-poo'd because they are not BS/EN compliant. Then someone else says as I am fitting it myself BS/EN does not apply (presumably he means unless fitted by a 'qualified' engineer, the system would not be considered BS/EN compliant even though the board itself is). Someone else said use Yale because the alarm boxes 'Look nice'; even though the Yale system I mentioned was wireless and I think I really want to keep the system wired.

Come on guys, give me some proper advice; what would be your best recommendation for a new panel if you were replacing an alpha board?

Come on guys, give me some proper advice; what would be your best recommendation for a new panel if you were replacing an alpha board?

It's not just as simple as this.

You have been given proper advise, by several trade members (who have many years industry knowledge).

Every panel has it's own features/differences but they all do pretty much the same thing (from a DIY POV).

We would probably all pick different stuff, so you would never get a definitive answer.

what would be your best recommendation for a new panel if you were replacing an alpha board?

metal box & lcd

http://www.e-fireandsecurity.co.uk/ade-honeywell-galaxy-g2kprox-01-c-intruder-alarm-control-panel-with-integrated-pstn-communicator-and-keyprox/p4298

would be suitable for the average dwelling

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

Thanks I will take a close look at that one.

Is a metal box preferable for reduced fire risk (over plastic) or better at resisting attack or simply more rugged? I don't know whether plastic alarm cases have ever caught fire but as they are continually powered I guess it must be a possibility? Having said that though my main fuse box is plastic so perhaps fire risk is not an issue at all.

I think if there was a chance that plastic ones caught fire on a regular basis or even occasionally they wouldnt sell them, the plastic ones are normally polycarbinate. I say normally I dont know about the Yale ones

Archived