Security Installer Community

Intruder Alarm And Access Control Combined

Hi All,

I have recently been tasked by my better half to find us an intruder alarm which, amongst other things, should be set/unset with a fob not a PIN - I also have to avoid PIRs due to having a rather large dog in the house..

We then got to thinking if we're setting and unsetting alarms with the fob it wouldn't be a great leap to add the front door and garage (which is mainly used for storage of stuff various folk borrow from time to time) to access control with the same fobs.

There is no shortage of alarms that offer proximity readers, and no shortage of access control solutions (I manage a Paxton Net2 system at work so am most familiar with this) however I'm yet to find anything that does what we want and would appreciate any advice.

Essentially when coming home (or entering the garage) when the system is armed presenting the fob to the reader should unlock the door and disarm the system. an additional proximity reader on the inside just by the door could then be used to re-arm the system.

Is there anything on the market that does this off-the-shelf... The Galaxy Dimension appears to, but as it's not a typical domestic system finding pricing on it is rather tricky, it also appears to offer Fire/Smoke sensors which would be a useful addition as we're in the midst of rewiring at the moment anyway and anticipated installing smoke detectors.

Hopefully someone can offer some suggestions ? :)

Essentially when coming home (or entering the garage) when the system is armed presenting the fob to the reader should unlock the door and disarm the system. an additional proximity reader on the inside just by the door could then be used to re-arm the system.

Don't do it. Access Control is for doing what its name implies. Controlling Access. NOT fully securing the premises.

Integrating Paxton with any Commerical Grade Panel

Didn't say it was, only giving the guy an option, if thats what he wants to do the 46 has the capabilities,outputs and programmable options, has it not ?

And leaves the premises insecure. Some option.

Thanks to the user who posted a link to Paxton AN1035 - this would potentially be an option

Cubit, I'm curious to know why you believe Access Control systems to be insecure for this purpose ...

I appreciate that there are more secure solutions however as the current door lock is a single yale anything's an improvement .. personally i would have thought a fail-secure solenoid bolt lock would be more secure than the current arrangement (the property is not suitable to fit a modern door with a multi-point lock)

At the end of the day if someone wants to get in to any building they will, it's striking a balance between convenience and security I guess.

Thanks to the user who posted a link to Paxton AN1035 - this would potentially be an option

Cubit, I'm curious to know why you believe Access Control systems to be insecure for this purpose ...

I appreciate that there are more secure solutions however as the current door lock is a single yale anything's an improvement .. personally i would have thought a fail-secure solenoid bolt lock would be more secure than the current arrangement (the property is not suitable to fit a modern door with a multi-point lock)

At the end of the day if someone wants to get in to any building they will, it's striking a balance between convenience and security I guess.

You might look after an Access system at work, but that's not quite the same as speccing/fitting one.

So, single card swipe disarms panel AND opens door?

Lets suppose someone removes reader and 'pops' the power. What happens next?

Fail secure bolt?

See above.

More importantly, Safety. Regs won't allow this in a commercial/public environment for safety reasons. Whilst the Law may be different for domestics the principle is still the same. There are lock systems to accomodate this but can you afford them? - silly money, even to us.

Never have final/main exit on electric lock only. Always have mechanical to secure.

So, single card swipe disarms panel AND opens door?

Lets suppose someone removes reader and 'pops' the power. What happens next?

If someone's going to take the time to do that (in full view) at my front door then they could break in anyway ? Also the reader would likely be the vandal resistant Net2 one mounted behind the doorframe, I don't see how someone can force the door to open (or the system to disarm) by doing this anyway ?

Fail secure bolt?

More importantly, Safety. Regs won't allow this in a commercial/public environment for safety reasons. Whilst the Law may be different for domestics the principle is still the same. There are lock systems to accomodate this but can you afford them? - silly money, even to us.

Good point - suppose the traditional door strike solves this (you can still just turn the handle) but as far as I'm aware they're not secure by comparison to solenoid bolts etc ...

I like the Salto solution with the keyfob reader integrated into a traditional lock barrel, but you obviously can't link that to anything ...

I'll look into an appropriate security system and consider the options for access at a later date perhaps... Net2 would probably do everything I want if I could find a suitable lock solution.

Archived