Security Installer Community

Intruder Alarm And Access Control Combined

Would you be happy with a sash lock on an electric strike ? thought most of them were considerably weaker than a traditional keep ?

If not then that'd probably exactly the route I'll go down - thank you : )

There are two doors (with a small porch between) i'll probably only be able replace the lock (with a sash lock) on the innermost of the two doors - the outer ones are a set of double doors and the frame is far too thin unfortunately ... that can stay on its normal latch.

Thanks for the advice - I'll look into systems that might be compatible with the Net2 system I already understand.

I do take on board the warnings from Cubit but I'm obviously missing something - I can't see how (even if they remove the prox reader) anyone could abuse that to disarm the alarm? Why is this such a bad idea ? how is it different than alarm systems such as those by honeywell that use a keyfob to set/unset the alarm?

Because it can 'pop' the psu.

With fail safe and no key, how do you get in? That's just for starters.

I'm not saying don't put access in, i'm saying don't do it the way you first proposed.

Because it can 'pop' the psu.

With fail safe and no key, how do you get in? That's just for starters.

Through the back door (which is a modern UPVC door with a multi-point lock)

I'm not saying don't put access in, i'm saying don't do it the way you first proposed.

Thanks - that's a little more constructive ;)

The other option, perhaps, would be an electromechanical lock - these seem to offer all the benefits of a sash lock / mortice but with a motorised release and the cable concealed within the door .. no experience at all with them (only maglocks and electric strikes) so would research further ...

:lol: sorry Andy, got to give him that one :lol:

I'm not quite stupid enough to make the ONLY entry to my house an electronic lock ... there's also a rather convoluted way in which involves an subfloor access trapdoor in the hall floor ;)

But he's drip feeding information out after each reply to a question/proposal.

Well I wasn't sure how much information would be necessary to answer my question .. The house has more than one entrance - this is related to the main entrance only (which is lit 24/7 and clearly visible from a main road so I would expect anyone attempting to get in would be via the back of the property), the front doors are currently both just simple yale latches (on different keys). There is a garage which I'd secure in the same way ideally because there's quite a few people I'd like to have access to that (but not my house) as it's used for storage of some things in connection with a local theatre group.

There is no alarm at present - we've not long moved in (and are in the middle of rewiring) - the intention is to fit one that doesn't rely on PIRs (the dog will inevitably set them off) just appropriate sensors on windows doors, a system which can notify us in the event of an alarm and (ideally) be controlled by prox readers would be ideal, we would also consider a monitored system but most companies installing them don't like third party kit being connected I believe. There is currently an IP based CCTV installation using AXIS cameras mainly because I had them left over from another project ...

My main requirement is to make it as simple and unobtrusive as possible - hence why I thought a single fob which unlocked the front door and disarmed the alarm would be ideal. If we're away (e.g. on holiday) then we will have additional dead locks (and the dog wont be there) oh and the house 4 doors up is owned by a close family member, in the event of any alarm activation at our place they'll drop by I'm sure ;))

This hopefully gives a less 'drip fed' approach to information (short of photos of my doors which can always be arranged ;)) and gives you a better idea of what I'm looking to do.

The reason I thought about Net2 is simply because a) i know it and b) i've got a spare door control module somewhere..

Sorry if I didn't get off on the best start...

for the record, IMO, unless you have a very large property (sorry couldn't be arsed readin the long post) access control is pointless.

I think i only have around 3 domestics on the books with access control, all of which are large with multiple external entrance doors & gates ect.

for the record, IMO, unless you have a very large property (sorry couldn't be arsed readin the long post) access control is pointless.

I think i only have around 3 domestics on the books with access control, all of which are large with multiple external entrance doors & gates ect.

Is that not typically due to cost / perceived cost ? Why is the size of the property relevant - surely the number (and usage pattern) of keyholders is more significant ?

Much like 20 years ago you'd only find intruder alarm systems, CCTV etc on larger houses (or commercial premises) these technologies have trickled down to the other end of the market.

The same can be said for other 'smart home' technology like centralised lighting control systems etc - they offer advantages in convenience and flexibility or they'd never have been developed.

Whilst it's true there may be less gained in a smaller property using things like access control personally I quite like the advantages - being able to give someone a key knowing that it cannot be copied and I can delete it at any time, knowing who opened the garage (or house!) and when, not needing an alarm PIN, no risk of forgetting to set/unset alarm, since the lighting is centrally controlled then unlocking the house can also turn lights on etc.

If you're trying to get through the front door carrying things and being pounced on by an overenthusiastic dog it's a lot easier to wave one plastic fob vaguely in the direction of a reader than it is to find a key, open one door, find another key, open the second door, switch the lights on, enter a PIN...

Archived