Security Installer Community

Intruder Alarm And Access Control Combined

Never have final/main exit on electric lock only. Always have mechanical to secure.

Couldn't agree more and I don't even do Access systems

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If someone's going to take the time to do that (in full view) at my front door then they could break in anyway ? Also the reader would likely be the vandal resistant Net2 one mounted behind the doorframe, I don't see how someone can force the door to open (or the system to disarm) by doing this anyway ?

Good point - suppose the traditional door strike solves this (you can still just turn the handle) but as far as I'm aware they're not secure by comparison to solenoid bolts etc ...

I like the Salto solution with the keyfob reader integrated into a traditional lock barrel, but you obviously can't link that to anything ...

I'll look into an appropriate security system and consider the options for access at a later date perhaps... Net2 would probably do everything I want if I could find a suitable lock solution.

And you have checked your insurance policy haven't you?

My existing insurers did ask what the locks are, and as a result there's a slight increase over what the premium would be with a 5 lever deadlock - they also confirmed they have no issue with an electronic lock securing the front door as long as it is not less secure than the existing locks.

I think with various DIY outlets selling basic keypad locks now for domestic use (which I'd never consider putting on my front door!) the insurers must be being asked questions like this more often than before.

p.s. yes, fail secure is considered a fire risk but with windows that open fully at ground level and the fact that the door itself is a single sheet of glass I wouldn't be too worried about getting out quickly if we needed to ;)

OP

I get the feeling you aren't taking on board the advice and warnings you are being given.

Fitting a keypad/prox to the door for convenience, is NOT the same as what you are proposing, nay, seem determined to do.

They are worlds apart.

My existing insurers did ask what the locks are, and as a result there's a slight increase over what the premium would be with a 5 lever deadlock - they also confirmed they have no issue with an electronic lock securing the front door as long as it is not less secure than the existing locks.

I think with various DIY outlets selling basic keypad locks now for domestic use (which I'd never consider putting on my front door!) the insurers must be being asked questions like this more often than before.

p.s. yes, fail secure is considered a fire risk but with windows that open fully at ground level and the fact that the door itself is a single sheet of glass I wouldn't be too worried about getting out quickly if we needed to ;)

A little knowledge is dangerous.

I'm out of here.

I get the feeling you aren't taking on board the advice and warnings you are being given.

I do, although I'm keen to understand why this is your opinion rather than simply "don't do this"

Fitting a keypad/prox to the door for convenience, is NOT the same as what you are proposing, nay, seem determined to do.

They are worlds apart.

So is your main concern my intention to use the prox to disarm the alarm also ? Perhaps I'm missing something but "fitting a prox for the door for convenience" is EXACTLY what I'm proposing...

A little knowledge is dangerous.

I agree, which is why I was looking for some advice / opinions - to gather more of it ;) - preferably from a wider gamut of responses than just your own (no offence meant) as different people will always have different opinions :)

if you & your insurer are happy with the nightlatch, just get an electric keep

I probably would be, perhaps an additional mortice dead lock for if we're away for any length of time..

Have the electric door strikes improved ? I never thought of them as particularly secure, most places I knew with them have started to replace them with maglocks which really wouldn't be suitable ;)

I guess I need to hunt for aesthetically pleasing electronic strikes then - most of them look quite out of place in a home due to the large amount cut out the door facing (one of the other reasons I'd the that solenoid bolt was the way to go)

It's somewhat frustrating that one of the directly useful posts (the link to Paxton) was removed in case anyone else finds this looking for similar integration.

Have the electric door strikes improved ? I never thought of them as particularly secure,

secure ? you have a yale lock !

& maglock ain't any more secure than your yale....

assuming wooden front door I'd have sash lock c/w oval or euro cylinder with thumb turn on the inside + proper dead lock(s)

Mr? Veritas God

secure ? you have a yale lock !

Good point - but the plan is DEFINITELY to replace that ;)

assuming wooden front door I'd have sash lock c/w oval or euro cylinder with thumb turn on the inside + proper dead lock(s)

One downside being there's no way I can release one of them electronically is there ?

Certainly I'd planned to fit a sash lock before we started down this conversation of having it linked to the alarm for convenience.

Archived