Security Installer Community

Swipe Or Card Readers

Oxford

I think that anything prox based will end up being a pain to administer, unless it's networked.

A standard keypad would also be a pain to administer, and it's an inevitability that if you don't change the codes on a regular basis, that people will share them out - also if the same codes end up working for multiple units as well then it'll be exploited.

So, I'd go down the double barrelled route:

Gold Plated: Net2Air

Reasonable Cost: Bespoke keypad solution with rolling codes.

That leaves you:

el-Cheapo - act5Prox, or Paxton Compact/Touchlock system, with a nightmare of administration as above.

Bear in mind he's talking about 1000 units here - the management requirements here could be a real bugger!

cyber id agree standalone management would be massive.

but fits the initial budget that was inferred.

with good management code access can work especially in this design imo, granted a full wireless managed solution would be better, just like id prefer a 911 C4 as my work transport, if you see my point

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Yup, a code access with rolling/superceding codes would probably be the neatest solution, may even be cheaper than going down the prox route when you consider lost tokens and so on! Plus you can offer a wider service in terms of texting codes to people who can ring in and book a cart to pickup etc. Just tell them which cart number it is and where it is, and they can go straight there avoiding the need for a physical token hand over - good if you have a large site with lots of units.

Some sort of tracking system would be a good idea also with that many carts...

Yep, variation on the rolling code system, after all the prox fobs are basically just a numeric code to the system. I wonder if anyone's considered running brute force stuff against a prox reader actually. Wouldn't be extremely hard to do I don't think, even easier if you can get to the cabling of the reader... but I digress...

Archived