Security Installer Community

Which Drill To Buy

mikef

I wouldn't waste my money on mains drills, especially a 230Vac!

Even if you get a 110Vac SDS there is always the problem of finding a socket, checking the sockets live, lugging the transformer about, tripping over the flex ... extension leads... the list goes on...

And you won't be allowed on any site with it either.

110v SDS, fair enough - but only if you know you're gonna be doing lots of BIG holes in concrete/blue brick.

If not, put the money towards a good set of battery tools

36v li-on Bosch here,had it about 6 years-not quite good as new-but original batteries still.

Nice bit of kit IMO.

You can get away with 230 stuff on site these days-as all sites should now be rcd protected!-but in practice! Hmm!.

36v li-on Bosch here,had it about 6 years-not quite good as new-but original batteries still.

Nice bit of kit IMO.

You can get away with 230 stuff on site these days-as all sites should now be rcd protected!-but in practice! Hmm!.

Back of beyond in wesh wales maybe :P

Wilmot Dixon won't even allow 110V extension leads on drums. Must be loose coiled.

Seems someone converted one into a heater. :'(

• 1 month later...

If you’ve got the dough buy a SDS and combo drill. I have a DeWalt DC233 24V SDS for the heavy work it’s a good drill its only drawback is my model uses 2Ah NiCad batteries which are a lower capacity than other similarly priced drills. The combo drill is an Hitachi DV18DL which has two 18V 3Ah Li ion batteries. I use it a lot the big capacity batteries have no problems getting you through a day’s work.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived