Security Installer Community

Which Drill To Buy

mikef

I'm not an expert on tools, but my friend is fed up with me robbing his drill so I'm looking to get one my mate reckons I need either a 24v or 36v, I was looking at something like hitachi or bosch drill has anyone got any recomendations as there not cheap and I don't wont to waste my money

I'm not an expert on tools, but my friend is fed up with me robbing his drill so I'm looking to get one my mate reckons I need either a 24v or 36v, I was looking at something like hitachi or bosch drill has anyone got any recomendations as there not cheap and I don't wont to waste my money

Depends on several factors, not least of which.

How big is your budget?

How frequently are you going to use it?

Besides the obvious of 'drilling holes', what sort of usage will it get - piddly little holes or BIG ones in blue brick and concrete.

As adi above, i'm a fan of Makita, but i'd go for the 18V Li-on range

How big is your budget?

Besides the obvious of 'drilling holes', what sort of usage will it get - piddly little holes or BIG ones in blue brick and concrete.

This is a very important point.

A small hammer drill is okay for putting up sensors and panels but for drilling holes through walls pneumatic SDS is the way to go.

I have two drills for this reason:-

Dewalt DC925

Dewalt DC223KA

Never had a problem with either. Although I would consider paying a bit more for Li-ion batteries.

The Dewalt range is great. I have the 28volt drills SDS and multi drill, but if I'm honest it's a bit too much. The 18volt version would have done every job I have used it for. They can take a lot of stick.

I like the fact one battery fits most dewalt stuff. I have two drills, torch, angle grinder and circular saw with 4 batteries all the same. Am tempted with am impact wrench in the next few weeks. Only use the drills on install. An angle grinder isn't a lot of good for putting up panels :P

Depends on several factors, not least of which.

How big is your budget?

As adi above, i'm a fan of Makita, but i'd go for the 18V Li-on range

My mate reckons to get a decent 36V your looking at about 400-500 quid, but to be honest I was looking to spend about 250-350 and maybe go for a 24V drill instead of 36V, does the battery size make any differance

I've got a Panasonic 28.8v SDS, fantastic piece of kit and the batteries last forever.

Only issue is it tends to knacker smaller bits (5.5, 6 etc) quite quickly but to be fair its very powerful

Hey Ho, Lets Go

Hi Mike,

I have the Bosch Professional 18v Li-Ion cordless which is great for most drill/driver uses. I use a 230v Bosch SDS unit for the more demanding applications.

Good Luck :yes:

I use a 230v Bosch SDS unit for the more demanding applications.

I wouldn't waste my money on mains drills, especially a 230Vac!

Even if you get a 110Vac SDS there is always the problem of finding a socket, checking the sockets live, lugging the transformer about, tripping over the flex ... extension leads... the list goes on...

Archived