Security Installer Community

Simple Home Setup. Thoughts & Suggestions

Vini

I am toying with the idea of importing 3x Geovision BL110D from Canada at £300 a piece. But I have no real clue if this is wise. I like the Geovision software, so that is really my only reason for going with the 110D. I appreciate it is a discontinued model but it meets my requirements.

I've just spent a couple of hours reading these forums and am now wondering if this is the right thing to do.

Ultimately I want;

3 outdoor cameras

IP

PoE

Good software

iPhone viewing

Remote viewing

I don't really need megapixel, so don't want more than a megapixel.

To be honest they don't have to be IP cameras but I'm big on IT so would prefer. Although understand it will be much cheaper to ignore IP. I'm just not sure how to power/get the feed from the non-IP cameras... Or how I make them accessible via the web.

Could anyone suggest a cheap non-IP, almost off the shelf setup, or some good BL110D equivalents? I've seen the XVision X100B which looks almost like for like...

I'd really like to do it for <£1000 so whatever you can suggest would be great.

What are these £300 off the shelf units like? Cack, aye?

cheers,

James

I am toying with the idea of importing 3x Geovision BL110D from Canada at £300 a piece. But I have no real clue if this is wise. I like the Geovision software, so that is really my only reason for going with the 110D. I appreciate it is a discontinued model but it meets my requirements.

I've just spent a couple of hours reading these forums and am now wondering if this is the right thing to do.

Ultimately I want;

3 outdoor cameras

IP

PoE

Good software

iPhone viewing

Remote viewing

I don't really need megapixel, so don't want more than a megapixel.

To be honest they don't have to be IP cameras but I'm big on IT so would prefer. Although understand it will be much cheaper to ignore IP. I'm just not sure how to power/get the feed from the non-IP cameras... Or how I make them accessible via the web.

Could anyone suggest a cheap non-IP, almost off the shelf setup, or some good BL110D equivalents? I've seen the XVision X100B which looks almost like for like...

I'd really like to do it for <£1000 so whatever you can suggest would be great.

What are these £300 off the shelf units like? Cack, aye?

cheers,

James

it all depends on how you are going to get the footage off the camera. are you using a nvr. and for a discontinued camera i think £300 is over the top.

Ideally I just want to wire 3 cam's back to a PoE switch, and then hook them up to "some software" (which?) running on a Windows machine.

I just don't know which camera's to go for, or which software to run. I know looking around there's tons of DVR/NVR set top units and loads of software applications around.

This install is purely for my home, and as a toy. So I want reasonable quality, but not breaking the bank. I was going for Geovision as you can make use of their software, which from past experience is absolutely fine and up to the job of what I want. Both Vivotek software and Geovision software have remote clients which is how I would view the footage.

As stated, any camera that meets these requirements;

IP66

IP

PoE

Good software (preferably included)

iPhone viewing

Remote viewing

<£300 (per cam)

is something I would be interested in.

Ideally I just want to wire 3 cam's back to a PoE switch, and then hook them up to "some software" (which?) running on a Windows machine.

I just don't know which camera's to go for, or which software to run. I know looking around there's tons of DVR/NVR set top units and loads of software applications around.

This install is purely for my home, and as a toy. So I want reasonable quality, but not breaking the bank. I was going for Geovision as you can make use of their software, which from past experience is absolutely fine and up to the job of what I want. Both Vivotek software and Geovision software have remote clients which is how I would view the footage.

As stated, any camera that meets these requirements;

IP66

IP

PoE

Good software (preferably included)

iPhone viewing

Remote viewing

<£300 (per cam)

is something I would be interested in.

your budget for cameras is good and your POE setup is also a good idea. but its the cost of your recording side. its ok running software on a pc but your cost of storage H/drives. also is your pc going to be just dedicated to just your cameras.

other cameras in your price range sanyo HD2500 axis/avermedia/vivotek. but you will be limited if you go geovision by licence costs if you use other than there cameras.

for standard or ip cameras this is cheaper than adding H/drives to a pc. full viewing options iphone/android/smartphone/pda/ java viewer. remote desktop viewer. and runs any ip without licence costs. http://www.avermedia.com/AVerDiGi/Product/Detail.aspx?id=281

Many thanks Tom, I'm not completely against Analogue to be honest, but I feel less restricted by going IP, given the computer is fully upgradeable.

HDD space & spec is not an issue, I have a server that would be more than capable of 3 cameras...

I'm going off the idea of importing the Geo's so now plan to get the cash together and see whats available at the time.

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, time to revisit this, as I believe I have my "base"...

For some reason, I decided to go with a DVR card and ignored IP. The card was cheap... As such, I have sat waiting a;

PC running Windows 7

E6400 Core 2 Duo

4Gb Ram

40Gb SSD OS

2Tb Storage

with 16ch Geovision GV-800 card

I just need some cameras now!

I'm looking at the Samsung SCO-2080R for the front of the house and initially considered one at the side and rear... However, I have a long driveway an external garage and a L shaped back garden. I have therefore being toying with the idea of a Speed Dome on the rear corner of the house that would pretty much take care of the back garden, side and garage... How does motion detection work? Do I need to install sensors?

If I do go for a Speed Dome I believe I will need to buy a GV-NET/IO to make use of the Speed Dome functions from within the GV 8.4 software, is this correct?

Any further thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? Ideas?

TIA,

V

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, time to revisit this, as I believe I have my "base"...

For some reason, I decided to go with a DVR card and ignored IP. The card was cheap... As such, I have sat waiting a;

PC running Windows 7

E6400 Core 2 Duo

4Gb Ram

40Gb SSD OS

2Tb Storage

with 16ch Geovision GV-800 card

I just need some cameras now!

I'm looking at the Samsung SCO-2080R for the front of the house and initially considered one at the side and rear... However, I have a long driveway an external garage and a L shaped back garden. I have therefore being toying with the idea of a Speed Dome on the rear corner of the house that would pretty much take care of the back garden, side and garage... How does motion detection work? Do I need to install sensors?

If I do go for a Speed Dome I believe I will need to buy a GV-NET/IO to make use of the Speed Dome functions from within the GV 8.4 software, is this correct?

Any further thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? Ideas?

TIA,

V

Is a speed done not a waste of time and money unless you have someone to control it with a joystick all day?

Archived