Security Installer Community

Adt Or Independent Installer ?

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice please.

I have just moved to new build house, it's within an estate but it is on the edge of the city and not a lot around it.

There are a mix of occupied houses and some still for sale sitting empty.

I live with my wife 2yr old child and a medium sized dog.

There has been a spate of house-breakins in the area lately and I'm told by the building companies security guard that two guys tried to gain entry to my house just a few nights ago.

I need to get an alarm system and pretty fast to give my wife some peace of mind.

ADT have quoted me approx.£750 and £26.99 per month for

5 x pet friendly pirs

1 x door contact

2 x bell boxes

1 x smoke detector

1 x panic alarm

2 x keypads

Control panel

All wireless. The monthly covers call to key holder, fire brigade and police.

I'd really like to get the system but quite honestly I can't afford it right now.

An independent has quoted me approx 450 for the same system and 20 per month, with the monitoring being done by Group 4, apparently.

Obviously the second price is far more palatable but my worry is that I'm saving some money but scrimping on the service ?

I have it in my head that to have an ADT box on the front and rear of my house would be more of a deterrent than a standard White box with a strobe - am I justified in thinking this ?

Is the police monitoring really worth it ? Are they contractually obliged to attend or would I be better just going for call to myself as key holder then just calling 999 (assuming I'm not at the house) ?

Do the police treat the call from ADT as an emergency I.e. A 999 call or is it a case of get there when they can ?

Do I really need the ADT name or am I just wasting money when the independent will likely provide as good a service ?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated for a very worried father ? My main concern is to deter, with what might be taken being far less of a concern. I really want my wife and kid to feel safe.

Lastly is there any possibility of negotiating on the ADT price ? The guy reckoned he had given me his best price with 60 quid off already, is it likely that I can negotiate any further or are the prices pretty much fixed ?

Thanks

A

An independant as long as they're SSAIB or NSI approved should be just as good as ADT .... some are even better.

Monitored is far better than just a communication device .... and if you have just a communication device the Police are very unlikely to respond to a call from you at a remote location. They're not "contractually" obliged to attend to any alarm but under ACPO rules thay will attend a monitored alarm with blues and twos ...... and usually pretty swiftly.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Thanks sincerely for the very quick reply and advice.

I'll ask the independent if they are approved by any of those bodies.

Any thoughts on whether an ADT box is less appealing to crooks than just a standard box ? My thoughts perhaps I'm off the mark are that an ADT system would usually be monitored whereas you really have no way of telling if the standard box is monitored or not ? Baring in mind my main object is deterring.

Thank you

As above i would always recommend an SSAIB or NSI independent company, get another quote from an independent and see what you think.

We have a good set of independents in this forum so if you post your area someone should be able to offer a quote for a Police response system.

We cover the North West.

Thanks sincerely for the very quick reply and advice.

I'll ask the independent if they are approved by any of those bodies.

Any thoughts on whether an ADT box is less appealing to crooks than just a standard box ? My thoughts perhaps I'm off the mark are that an ADT system would usually be monitored whereas you really have no way of telling if the standard box is monitored or not ? Baring in mind my main object is deterring.

Thank you

A good local companies bell box will do the same job.

Give these guys a call, i think they cover Glasgow and they are a good lot.

http://www.alarmprotection.co.uk/

£450 seems a bit cheap to be honest.

Really ? The base system is actually only 140 quid, the salesman reckons they recover most of the costs via the 20 quid monthly.

For the 130 you get a galaxy control panel, 4 x pirs a door contact, keypad and bell box. It's 450 due to the additionals I have added.

Only thing the guy reckons that the bell box doesn't make a noise only an internal siren, which I thought was a bit strange, surely I want as much noise as possible ?

I'll def contact the guys on that link.

Thanks a million

Hi Antsplan

Welcome to the Forum

Your right the £20 pcm is where the money is the £450 will cover the the cost only, but it sounds a fair deal.

If they are offering Police response they will be approved by one of the two inspectorates mentioned.

I am biased as an independent myself, however, I would always recommend using independents over nationals for various reasons

Archived