Security Installer Community

Gardtec 595 Engineer_Install Manual

paulbaker1954

I have recently bought a new house with a Gardtec 595 system installed by the previous owner. It now refuses to set and is insisting on an ENg code + XXXX to set it. I dont have the code and have had to call out the installer for £85+Vat for a service and a reset.

I am a qualified engineer, I dont want an expensive maintenance contract and my insurance is NOT conditional on haveing an alarm fitted. I suspect that the installer will want to sell me a maint contract and will not give me the engineers code.

I have read with interest the various comments about supplying engineer manuals and fully understand the issues and risks but come on...........

I own the system, have no insurance requirement for it (just adds peace of mind) and am fully capable of maintaining and programming it. I object hugely to having to undertake a maintenance contract that I don't want or need for codes that should be mine by right as the owner of the system. :angry2:

So can anyone supply an engineer manual and will this allow me to reset the codes etc.

I am happy to supply sensible documentation that proves I am who I say I am and live where I say I do!!

i understand your position but as AG says i is a rule so no engineer docs can be posted on the public side.

What you want to do is doable but id make sure the engineer is aware of what you want to do as if he cant do it for you then you are not going to achieve what you want.

From our own company point of view we would not give out the engineer code for obvious resons but would default the code etc and give an installer manual assuming we fitted and it was no longer on any sort of contract.

You will be able to find someoen that can do this for you, or alternativly you could just change the control panel. Basic 8 zone panels are less than £50 (the 595 is not a basic bottom end panel) so hat might be a better route for you.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

i understand your position but as AG says i is a rule so no engineer docs can be posted on the public side.

What you want to do is doable but id make sure the engineer is aware of what you want to do as if he cant do it for you then you are not going to achieve what you want.

From our own company point of view we would not give out the engineer code for obvious resons but would default the code etc and give an installer manual assuming we fitted and it was no longer on any sort of contract.

You will be able to find someoen that can do this for you, or alternativly you could just change the control panel. Basic 8 zone panels are less than £50 (the 595 is not a basic bottom end panel) so hat might be a better route for you.

Thanks for that, I can fully understand the industry position. I will talk to the engineer nicely when he comes and see if we can reach an sensible compromise. My cynical view however is that because he works for a major UK supplier that he will be incentivised to sell me a maintenance contract I dont really want!!

In the absence of any other information I think this is a sensible first point of call.

You are not required to take out a maint contract and ask before if he will give you the eng code of your choice.

If he agrees test and then pay the man.

If not tell him no code no work, no payment.

But make sure this is clear at the start.

You are not required to take out a maint contract and ask before if he will give you the eng code of your choice.

i agree with oxo on this one.if your gonna pay the call out i think they will change the code and give it to you

make sure the code works!

tbh if your competent in these systems the cheapest option is like james said and buy a new panel and start from scratch

You could ask the engineer to set the engineer code to default then go from there. He will likely charge you for the visit which is fair.

Alternative buy a replacement pcb fr gartec and buy the manual

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

That's OK if that is agreed before the engineer attends. If he's asked to call out to carry out a repair or reset you cannot then refuse to pay if he won't release the code.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Why is the system on anti code reset?

If its bell only then why has it been on engineer lock out?

A remote anti code would reset it but would happen again when you have another activation.

What area do you live.

Archived