Security Installer Community

Mobile Phone

Adi

Was due an upgrade back in december, but cant make us mind up.

I started using an iphone 3 or 4 months ago, but got rid last week - gone back to me nokia 5800, dam sight better.

The iphone (3g one) is unbelievably poor using as a phone/texting. The plus point was manuals on it and remote cctv until the thicko's at adata upgraded the remote view software, iphone download it and its been **** ever since.

I wanted the new nokia n8 but the after the p poor reviews with it locking up ect.. i rather not bother, let nokia sort it out first, but due to them going all quiet on the situation, i can see them loosing a few loyal customers.

So the only other appealing to me is the HTC, (with one do you have james?) most of them seem fast, although one of the older style ones might be a bit slower.

The last week or so ive been thinking to stick to a sim only deal, with me decent phone and get a tablet for me manuals and a calendar for appointments. Im not going to the cost of an ipad, but there seems a few other half decent machines about for around 100-150.

The benifit of a smartphone is that the manuals will be in me pocket and easy access to calendar. (its not that often i need access to manuals)

Any ideas

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

and what would you use that for.

Ive always fancied a windows mobile but not sure if id actually use it to its full potential.

Outlook calendar is only thing id like to have on a phone.

Read the other thread with wanting windows on tablets for udl, but i didnt want to spend 400 plus just for windows.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

I currently have my son investigating what can and can't be done with an iPhone. Yesterday he discovered that you can Remote Desktop into a Windows PC. That's pretty powerful for me. If you have all your panel manuals stored on a PC at home or the office, you can easily log in and view them.

I too am after a Windows phone now that they finally seem to have got their act together.

Free Alarm Monitoring over the Internet from IP Alarms

I use my desire to rdp into the udl server.

I don't know of anything that can only be done on an iphone. Even itunes can be synced on android now.

The reason id prefer a wp 7 device is mainly because the development environment is far superior

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Must admit one of the reasons I changed from windows based phones was lockups

I'd had the MDA mini

MIO 701 (1st hanset with integrated gps receiver)

HTC touch diamond x 2

Don't know if it was hardware or software but a total pia, lost downy calls because phone was locked

Moved to M95

The M95 8gb but Nokia suit shredded al my adress data bases.

I did look at the H2 D2, but that I was told by T-Zmobile was withdrawn from production in favour of android and enormous lump of kit to carry about.

On android I have played with is the wife's LG500, suit her but not me, response is far more sluggish to keyboard and icons, and screen nowhere near as good as IP4.

IP4 had never once locked up and syncs everything without fuss,

Against (imho) it has the infamouse squeeze issue for loosing signal, but did not want another locking handset got 24 months.

The auto text is about as useful as the steering on a Tesco trolley, and for me I like touch screen keyboard over tactile but I'd prefer to be able to use a probe to type, that's due me having bananas for fingers :).

For me the pro's far outway the con's, the range of useful apps is awesome and to be honest vfm added Yo counter the initial price.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I've been using HTC for years .... I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th one now. They're very good, but my current one, the HD2 on Windows, does have a problem locking up especially if it gets hot, although I've found that if I power it down once a day it very rarely locks up.

I'd prefer to be able to use a probe to type, that's due me having bananas for fingers :).

... er, I think they're called a stylus ... I do agree, they were very useful, but no-one makes a phone with a stylus anymore.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

'Puck' is another term used :). I could use a Pencil or even a finger nail if I lost the stylus, dual option would be good but then the screen likely have be more flexible istrad of hard glass (which I like better).

Nothings perfect, especially for anyone with any sort if engineer in their character :).

Arfur

Try a high end android handset.

Why? It would be nearing the same price surely?

Expensive experiment IMHO, like buying shoes, you don't really get into a handset for several weeks, only then + & - can truly be noticed as to how they suit you. I played wiith the ip4 after my brother in law got one, simply impressed me straight away tbh. Display best I've used in sunlight and as I ride powerful PTW's, very important concideration for SatNav visability needs.

Arfur

Archived