Security Installer Community

veritas transformer

Guest NASH

I've got a Veritas 8C which recently burned out its transformer and blew the mains fuse. I had a transformer/rectifier that was giving out 14V Dc (unloaded)so I took off the rectifier and fitted the transformer. I now have a battery charge voltage of 8.5v and a flashing power LED. I assume that the loaded output of the transformer is too low as the alarm gives the 10 beep power fault warning and will set using the "How to set system with Power fault " instructions.

Questions are:

Are my assumptions correct?

What is the rating I should have used on the transformer ?

From the above it is obvious I am not alarm engineer but I do know which side of a soldering iron to hold and work in electronics but more the PC side.

The transformer should give an ac output of about 18v

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I think you would be better off getting a new panel should get one for less than £50 it is probably not worth fiddling with.

19028[/snapback]

I am fitting a new alarm to my house, and currently have a Veritas R8 installed (3 yr old, works fine, mint condition, just lack of zones really).

£25 + delivery

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

Thanks for the help. Trouble with replacing the unit is that the wires are all raggled into the wall as is part of the unit. Its fitted in the hall so to replace means replaster and redecorate.

Nash,

What would cost more to fix,

a dab of plaster and a lick of paint around your nice new panel

or Having to clear the mess up left by a burglar and having to replace all your possesions?

I'm with whistle on this one though, dump the Texecom in the nearest skip, they are an entry level DIY panel and to be honest, more trouble than they are worth. I've had tons of grief with them and wouldn't recomend them to anybody.

Galaxy is probably a bit of an overkill as it's designed for commercial enviroments and it's VERY expensive in comparison to other panels (stonkingly good bit of kit though), Scantronic or Menvier would probably suit your budget better.

Choice is your's mate.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Guest mw101

not sure as i would agree with that last comment must have fitted 40 plus veritas compact,remote etc..apart from the tranny coming slightly loose on a couple and one not working out of the box had no problems,compare to other alarms in price range no comparison,fully programable zones(unlike the entry scanny) and best of all 1 button setting,how easy is that to explain to a customer?,this one to go out mate,and this one to go to bed

just my 2p for what its worth

mark

not sure as i would agree with that last comment must have fitted 40 plus veritas compact,remote etc..apart from the tranny coming slightly loose on a couple and one not working out of the box had no problems,compare to other alarms in price range no comparison,fully programable zones(unlike the entry scanny) and best of all 1 button setting,how easy is that to explain to a customer?,this one to go out mate,and this one to go to bed

just my 2p for what its worth

mark

19223[/snapback]

So apart from it falling to pieces out of the box and one dead u have had no trouble :lol::lol: :lol: quality manufacturer and excellent quality control there :!:

I'm glad i don't use em anymore, i've fited over 600 of the texecom panels and the failure rate is MUCH higher than that, had tons with burnt trannies, proper shody things. used to fit 2 a day, 6 days a week so I would say I'm fully versed to be able to say without hesitation that they are one of the worst panels i have ever had the misfortune to use. some people seem to like em though.....

You answered your own query,

"compare to other alarms in price range no comparison,fully programable zones(unlike the entry scanny) and best of all 1 button setting"

yeah, DIY price range :!: and compared to other "DIY" stuff yeah, has a lot of features granted, and for the record the shabby A1 stuff that maplins sell has fully programmable zones, but would u fit one of those to ya house :lol:

same goes for the £9 pirs Texecom make..... <_<

I'll stick with my Galaxy and Napco dualtechs thanks...

Nash, forget the Texecom, really, it's not worth the hassle.

Again, just my opinion

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Archived