Security Installer Community

Britain Is Unique

hpotter

we also get power now from denmark & netherlands. the wind farm is software controlled from germany.

they are (not the french cable) linked to the grid via i o grain where protests just been cos new coal fired planned using tech that hasnt been developed yet.

freq also changes due to phase matching.

Makes getting a decent solar panel(s) on your roof and selling some back.

God knows what the price hikes are going to be like.

Also thinking of changing from British Gas, nice of them to increase prices as the winter/xmas starts.

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Generate-your-own-energy/Sell-your-own-energy/Feed-in-Tariff-scheme

With the above it looks like it will generate ( sorry) enough to pay for itself. With reduced bills as well.

Not saying its a overnight killing but it looks a better option if your able to do it.

think maybe on new build or renovation, otherwise better investment in insulation.

There's nothing unique about that, the same happens over here but on a smaller scale. Our system peak is around 5000MW so 3000MW of kettles is impressive.

had a link from Irish tv abt teapots per capita, cant find it, basically saying you guys prefer pot & cosy, us guys too lazy & given up these days so keep boiling & tea bag in cup.

Also wonder abt ownership/capita of electric to gas kettles. Last time when staying in cork, had pint whilst waiting for kettle to boil (true - was under missus orders too).

old vt but still apt, maybe more so as we start to rely(?) on alternative (to hyro) renewable energy. Largest wind farm in world (whitstable) aint no good if in doldrums at the end of corrie etc.

Somewhere in Wales theres a 'hollow'mountain with Hydro electric generators at the bottom, and a huge resevoir at the top. At paek demand or if theres a surge, all of the water is released to drive the generators, stored at the bottom, and during low demand periods the water is pumped back to the top.

Not sure, but I think it was originally designed to help cope with economy7 and electric storage heaters which were popular in the 70s

brilliant, simple idea. Wonder if its still in use.

Somewhere in Wales theres a 'hollow'mountain with Hydro electric generators at the bottom, and a resevoir at the top. At paek demand all of the water is released to drive the generators, stored at the bottom, and during low demand periods the water is pumped back to the top.

I think it was originally designed to help cope with economy7 and electric storage heaters which were popular in the 70s

brilliant, simple idea. Wonder if its still in use.

We have our own version over here, Turlough Hill, they have a reservoir at the top of the mountain which releases water and drives 4 turbines at the bottom. Each turbine can generate 70MW so you'll need 40-50 of these to power all your kettles after corrie. It only lasts a few hours then they pump the water back up at night.

During the troubles the army were posted there 24/7

If you install renewable energy I.e. Solar/wind I think you get subsidies upto 50%. Believe even selling some power back, it then it takes 10 years to break even.

Fine if your staying put i guess, but takes the advantages away if you move. Bec intersting then if it adds or devalues the selling price of the house?

House near me has had one side of the roof almost completely covered in solar panels, i can't say it adds to the looks of what was once a nice looking home.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• 1 year later...

Im seriously considering an Ait to Water backup for running my underfloor heating. This then turned my attention to a PV subsidy towards the running of the air water. Obviously the instalation cost would send the repayment costs decades instead of a few years. So i put a nill on my own labour. During my youtube research :) i was totaly unsurprised by the major difrrence between the UK installer and the German installer. How the hell did we manage to compete with such a proffessional and disaplined race. They have all the skills and saftey kit and we send a couple of blokes from down the pub with a ladder, trainers and an installation manual plus a telephone number for tech suport (sound familar).

Customers!

Archived