Security Installer Community

Hybrid Alarm System Recommendations

martinwinlow

Again @ RichL...

Re the ability to 'call in' and see what's happening being a toy... I see what you mean but all I want to do is, in the event that the alarm is triggered and the system rings me on my mobile or pings me an SMS text, is to log in and see what sensor was triggered and then check out the house via the cameras to see if it's a real 'situation' or not. Even having the mic opening facility on the Response was a huge technical advance but in the event that Burglar Bill is the strong and quiet type, I'd like to see what's happening as well as hear. Chances are in my situation they would have a vehicle parked on the drive or at the gate,either of which would be very obvious on the cameras.

I should probably put my cards on the table here and admit to 'having a very close friend' who is a response police officer in N London for 25 years. I have little respect for alarm monitoring companies (sorry!) and I base this on the ratio of false alarms to genuine ones. It has certainly improved in the last 10 years or so but it still appears that about one in 10 'confirmed sequential' activations are genuine and most of those are 'key holder; set off in error' situations. It is certainly not a service I would pay good money for!

Interestingly, the main MO (according to my 'friend') for residential break-ins is still bodily pressure (shoulder-barge or kicking) to a ground floor, external (obviously) door, usually the front and usually during the day. Ergo, my principle and first line of defence preference would be door/window contacts. Even the modern trend for 'popping' or otherwise forcing PVC-U door & window installations are covered by them. I would have a PIR on each floor too - particularly as I don't have any pets to worry about. Having the smoke alarm system wired in would be good too, but I gather that would be a simple thing to achieve.

So, it's just the IP thing that is conspicuous by its absence but I'll carry on looking through the rest of the suggestions here.

MW

@ hpotter...

Interestingly, the I-on40 is one I had already looked at along with the Bosch EasySeries and certainly their technology is what I am looking for but neither just goes the next step to simply being able to log in via the WWW and fiddle away. Why not? If I can do it with my ip cameras why not my alarm? MW

Galaxy still ticks all the boxes, when it sends a SMS it sends the site name (you choose) the zone number the zone text and the time of activation.

Then you could interrogate it via IP. Add links from a DVR or camera output.You can also have wireless fire/smokes.

Still a high end panel though.

The Visonic would give you 28 wireless zones and 2 hard wired or a wired SAB rather than a wireless one. IP is possible as well as speech.

Personally I have a Gal G3-144, I really should get it on the network but busmans holiday and all that :D

@ arfur mo...

The Agility has the most going for it at the moment, thanks for the info. In an ideal world I would have a professional install my alarm but as it is rather a pricey beast, I'll be doing it myself - like the rest of the house.

Thanks anyway. MW

@ Oxo...

Thanks for your input. The Visonic PowerMax+ is a nice capable unit and ideal from the IP access side of things. But... Yikes - what a price (inc the IP module its more than the new Galaxy Dimension) and I'm still stuck with only 2 hardwired zones.

I know wireless is easy to install but surely hardwired is more reliable... maybe not. Nonetheless, I really can't justify 16 wireless transceivers for my installation and what about all those unsightly lumps all over the shop? Then there's the batteries they'd all use. Sorry, Visonic is out and even the Galaxy has the same issue as far as I can see 'tho again their web site is awful to navigate through -perhaps I missed something. MW

In an ideal world I would have a professional install my alarm but as it is rather a pricey beast, I'll be doing it myself - like the rest of the house.

Thanks anyway. MW

with all due respect, if you are going to all the expense (and associated saving) of self build, in order to protect your investment with the due protection I would recommend professional monitoring.

You have been misled about fa ratio's, any reputable company will offer you this information and you will be pleasantly surprised at how this has come down over the years due mainly to advancement in technology and confirmed systems. Most car alarms would cost more than the amount people budget on home true security, it all depends on the risk you wish to address.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

@ hpotter...

Interestingly, the I-on40 is one I had already looked at along with the Bosch EasySeries and certainly their technology is what I am looking for but neither just goes the next step to simply being able to log in via the WWW and fiddle away. Why not? If I can do it with my ip cameras why not my alarm? MW

we do log on a few intruder sites via www and as you say we can fiddle away. however customer has to be on site, to give us permission. we, customers & insurers like it like that. not sure it would be a great idea to be able to dive in willy nilly, but its possible if programmed accordingly.

we use scantronic 85 or 95en.

bottom line is its your security & guess its more about how confident you are at preventing access to it.

in the event that the alarm is triggered and the system rings me on my mobile or pings me an SMS text, is to log in and see what sensor was triggered and then check out the house via the cameras to see if it's a real 'situation' or not.

SMS ain't suitable for alarms, the losses or delays from the gateway have the be seen to be believed.

In my experience your type of house is most likely to be broken into for the car keys with quick riffle about for phones lappy & wallets....

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

but it still appears that about one in 10 'confirmed sequential' activations are genuine and most of those are 'key holder; set off in error' situations.

is this from "your friend"? do you (does he/she) mean the 9/10 are keyholder set off? do you/he/she mean pd6662 dd243 etc (i ask cos clearly homework is being done).

Interestingly, the main MO (according to my 'friend') for residential break-ins is still bodily pressure (shoulder-barge or kicking) to a ground floor, external (obviously) door, usually the front and usually during the day. Ergo, my principle and first line of defence preference would be door/window contacts. Even the modern trend for 'popping' or otherwise forcing PVC-U door & window installations are covered by them. I would have a PIR on each floor too - particularly as I don't have any pets to worry about. Having the smoke alarm system wired in would be good too, but I gather that would be a simple thing to achieve.

The main mo ime is still the open window, unlocked door. yep contacts will make you go round and shut them all, so all well & good. also ime, the simpler/quicker systems get used, otherwise people sometimes dont set their system cos they're only going to pick up the kids, no point running round house - oh, i'm late etc etc.

contacts have their (very limited) uses. I'd suggest a word with your insurer or an alarm expert.

Archived