Security Installer Community

Barn Conversion Project

james.wilson

Insulation wise, you ever sat on a sheet of that plastic corogated used to protect floors? You get a hot bum very quickly, if you stand on it your feet get very hot after a short time.

Just try it, stuff is very cheap and very hardy

Wondered if that may help in combating thermal loss?

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

You have a lot of work ahead of you before you even turn a sod, if this is being converted to a dwelling (i.e. not currently classified as one), you may need to visit the foundations first to ensure suitability for the added weight of a dwelling, also not sure of the rules in the UK with regards to radon gases but a radon barrier/sump maybe required under the living areas.

Insulation wise, something like kingspan may allow thinner insulation widths while returning the same heat retention values.

Grand Designs?

OMG I hate the cretins that appear on the program,

watched 1/2 of one last night whilst doing stuff on the lappy, smug **** headed house owner was bitching about the paint finsh of the red oxide on the structural steel, this had come on a wagon & been hiab'd & craned about & he was surprised it was marked to ****,

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

got customer who bought property at auction to do up & on daytime tv prog abt same. think he said all done in 6wks.

got call yesterday cos bathroom flood wet kitchen electrics, and panel bleeping mains fail. said got 24hrs to dry out or sa goes...

hope to be shot before get to dribbling & daytime tv.. (maybe rooney hoping same?)

(nope, part p not required, spur of lounge, just same cct :P )

no ac. panel batt runs down, self-activating sounder dont like it as hold off gone so lots of noise & out of hours call.

kinda wish I never asked...... but,

if the leaks stoped, faceplates off, touch of wd40, faceplate back on but loose ?

or is the normal **** electrics hacked around & junctioned up behind the 30k kitchen ?

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

It's a year since I finished my renovation/extension of my listed cottage and I don't think there is anything I would have changed.

Getting good trades men is very important, I was very lucky in that I have a few developers on my books and they steered me in the right direction.

The wiring side of it needed a lot of planning, some of the things on my list were

HDMI leads to each TV location

4 X ct100

3 X cat5

2 X RG59

2 X Cat5 to the corner of each room, plus more that I can't think of right now

All these were brought back to my AV cupboard which also had 5 X ct100 to Sat dish and aerial

When I say my house was listed I use the term loosely as I was allowed to move my front door, put in new timber windows, replace the roof, gutters etc.

I also laid a lot of ducts around the house for gates, phone, cameras, lighting, shed and a few spares

I had a contact that could get me Kingspan seconds which were in perfect condition but half of the price.

I insulated all my external walls with 150mm boards, the internals to prevent cold bridging and the stud walls all got rockwool to try and sound proof the rooms

A blog would be a good idea for the build

Archived