Security Installer Community

rather not say where im workin - for obvious reasons Maton

(in hindsight) fair enough!I don't really like to say where I work either (but thats just because they might notice how often Im on during the day!!)

Take a bit of advice and (i) make your boss aware that you're not happy with this situ and you'll have to note it as a fault on your service docket and (ii) make a note of it on your service docket!!

I.D. the circuit that has the eol at the panel (ring good circuits and mark with tape) and ,sorry, but more than likely you gotta open the remaining sounders - you could try and pick roughly where you reckon half way is,meter it and if you're getting juice to there stick a battery on the outgoing pair to see whats ringing and do same again until you get a feel for the way it's running.

I've not much on tomorrow sure I'll pick it up for you :rolleyes:

Not if they are selling maintenance contracts indicating that it is being done under Section 46 of BS 5839-1:2002 + A2:2008 (competant person and all that).

No one should be shooting you on here btw,it's your company.

You working for a new company or one of the smaller ones in NI mate?

Just noticed - it's Section 45 and not 46!

.....Audibility should be checked on every 100% service IMO,....

Good practice but not a requirement,

Over a 12 month period all fire alarm devices should be checked for operation though so,like detection devices,you could split them over each service (in theory).

However,a walk test with sounders means that you'll be checking the majority on each visit.

I can see how these situations happen, recently had to trace EOL in a major supermarket and found 3 on the same sounder cct. I put it down to service contracts changing hands on a regular basis, 24 hour shopping and old systems thats should really be renewed not upgraded or panel changed. Trouble is you cant just work in a supermarket our of hours like you could do 20 years ago. I bet its a lot more common than most imagine.

But as usual this boils down to companies driving down costs.

I can see how these situations happen, recently had to trace EOL in a major supermarket and found 3 on the same sounder cct. I put it down to service contracts changing hands on a regular basis, 24 hour shopping and old systems thats should really be renewed not upgraded or panel changed. Trouble is you cant just work in a supermarket our of hours like you could do 20 years ago. I bet its a lot more common than most imagine.

But as usual this boils down to companies CUSTOMERS driving down costs.

50/50 I guess as regardless of how much some get paid they still cut corners

But as usual this boils down to companies driving down costs.

Yup - best advice is to document and get it signed by whoever is responsible on site.Hard fact is it puts the onus on them to request and orgainize the repair.

Yup - best advice is to document and get it signed by whoever is responsible on site.Hard fact is it puts the onus on them to request and orgainize the repair.

I agree.

& if your new to the firm like the op, then it could go one of two ways with your new employer. I'd mention it to them before they got the call.

Fastest way possible in an unknown situation.

I thought people like you had ceased to exist...................................

cheers

I'll take that as a compliment (don't think you were refering to me as a dinosaur....LOL)

cheers OXO

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived