Security Installer Community

Dont sign it off pal. If you do and the something happens your be the one doing time. If your company asks you to sign it off perhaps you need to find a better outfit to work for.

I would disconnect faulty circuit, ring bells of all other circuits and tape (green and yellow) which ones ring. Go back to panel reconnect faulty circuit and disconnect good circuits. Ring bells and see if any sound. Mark with different colour tape (red). Your faulty circuit will be red tape and bells with no tape.

If you cant do this method, its time to get your meter out and take off all the covers. At the end of the day its gotta be sorted and its all chargeable to the customer.

Good luck buddy

• 3 weeks later...

Im amazed, this is simple fault finding on a fire alarm system - being it only non addressable! From the original post if you are asking that to start with you should nt be touching life protection systems!

My boring/"passed it" sales manager always says " Intruder alarm protects property, Fire alarm protects life"

Costs of maintenance contracts are not dictated by the engineer, but the engineer is who signs the service certificate! Ive heard her majesty provides a great sunday mush!

Hi guys if eol is in panel @sdr wire terminals. will the sdrs will still work correct??and only cause problems when there is a fault condition on the sdr loop?? just double checking??

Hi,Just at thought,but have you actually checked that removing the sounder cables doesn't bring up a fault.There are plenty of sites out there where a panel has been changed and for whatever reason(lack of access or Friday afternoon job) the old end of line has been brought down to the lower value of the new end of line for the new panel by putting a resistor in parallel.If its been written up as a variation by satan himself,doesn't actually mean that its not still monitoring faults so worth a look.

With regards finding the end of line bell, if you cant ring it much,once you've identified the bellds on the circuit ,its sometimes worth,just shorting the cable together at the panel and working round the bells and measuring the resistance ,it will at least let you know which way your heading and can be quicker than continually splitting the wiring at each bell,obviously the further you are from the short at the panel the nearer you are to the end of line,so skipping a few bells each time should get you there fairly quickly.Of course the bell you are looking for will probably be behind a false wall/ceiling, an unoccupied/unaccessible attic flat or the hairdressers next door which will be why nobody has ever found it.Good luck

Hi,Just at thought,but have you actually checked that removing the sounder cables doesn't bring up a fault.There are plenty of sites out there where a panel has been changed and for whatever reason(lack of access or Friday afternoon job) the old end of line has been brought down to the lower value of the new end of line for the new panel by putting a resistor in parallel.If its been written up as a variation by satan himself,doesn't actually mean that its not still monitoring faults so worth a look.

With regards finding the end of line bell, if you cant ring it much,once you've identified the bellds on the circuit ,its sometimes worth,just shorting the cable together at the panel and working round the bells and measuring the resistance ,it will at least let you know which way your heading and can be quicker than continually splitting the wiring at each bell,obviously the further you are from the short at the panel the nearer you are to the end of line,so skipping a few bells each time should get you there fairly quickly.Of course the bell you are looking for will probably be behind a false wall/ceiling, an unoccupied/unaccessible attic flat or the hairdressers next door which will be why nobody has ever found it.Good luck

Thanks mate! valu your comment!

never thaught of trying to trace such a fault like your suggesting?

Good point - if you have a hypothetical end of line of 20K with 5% tolerance then you can (if you really have to) fit 39K on two sounder circuits that are doubled up.If you lose one then the panel sees 39K and throws a fault up.

There might NOT even bell a bell where the EOL is!-I seen it where a bell has been removed for whatever reason-and the EOL is just 'choccied' on the end of the damn cable cos the person removing couldn't be bothered to find the next bell back!!!.

Nightmare to find-in a hotel roof void-and took me a while to locate correct position for new EOL-but it's done right now, complete with EOL label on last bell-extra patience pays off and is well worth it in the long run I think.

I tongue in cheek suggested the owner 'invoice the previous maintainer for my extra time'-She did and they actually paid!!!!!.

Richard.

Archived