Security Installer Community

It will work and only show a problem if the sounder circuit has a short ..... but must not be left working like that because it won't detect an open circuit

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

It will work and only show a problem if the sounder circuit has a short ..... but must not be left working like that because it won't detect an open circuit

...and just to expand on the implications of that - if you have 20 sounders on the circuit and you get an open circuit after bell number 2 then you will have lost 18 bells with no fault indication on the panel.

...and just to expand on the implications of that - if you have 20 sounders on the circuit and you get an open circuit after bell number 2 then you will have lost 18 bells with no fault indication on the panel.

thanks maton-what if you don't hve wiring diagram for panel and there is 20 sdrs what is the quickest way of findin the last sdr so u can but the eol in it, ur prob going 2 say go around every one open it up untill u find it. but on big site this can be time consuming any other ideas/methods

Open up 1 you think is about halfway, disconnect outgoing cable, ring sounders, anything making noise is between panel and said sounder, keep halving like this and eventually you find the end (or suspect device/cable)

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

thanks maton-what if you don't hve wiring diagram for panel and there is 20 sdrs what is the quickest way of findin the last sdr so u can but the eol in it, ur prob going 2 say go around every one open it up untill u find it. but on big site this can be time consuming any other ideas/methods

Leaving the eol in the panel isn't an option ... unless you're prepared to risk a jail sentence if all goes wrong.

Fire off the alarm with this zone disconnected, identify which sounders don't operate and start checking them out.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

no other way mate.

start with the one furthest from the panel IMO and try to visualise what was probably the most logical way to run the cabeling when the system was installed.

Unlike installation and functional service fault finding is more of a art/skill than following an instruction.

when you do find the last one on the circuit make it end of line and if a fault shows find approx sounder 10 make it the end of line and reset the system.

no fault and your problems in 11-20, still got fault problems in 1-10 so you can move away to sounder 15 or nearer to sounder 5 and try again until you find the faulty one or wire.

have fun you'll probably be at it a 1/2 a day

Archived