Security Installer Community

Guest old-hand
Open up 1 you think is about halfway, disconnect outgoing cable, ring sounders, anything making noise is between panel and said sounder, keep halving like this and eventually you find the end (or suspect device/cable)

Fastest way possible in an unknown situation.

I thought people like you had ceased to exist...................................

cheers

"If in doubt, link it out" :lol:

Sounds like a lazy engineer with a sounder fault, he just couldnt be bothered to trace..... Friday afternoon job...

for ur info. there hve been several engineers there b4 me and never botherd to fix this either, and is writen as a variation in logbook services b4 me. i just would hate 2 but eol in correct place only 2 find the panel not seeing it.

Guest old-hand
for ur info. there hve been several engineers there b4 me and never botherd to fix this either, and is writen as a variation in logbook services b4 me. i just would hate 2 but eol in correct place only 2 find the panel not seeing it.

If I came across this I would raise hell with the office and get the fault corrected ASAP. VARAITION........................with my name attached to the docket.............NOPE

:fear:

it's NOT a variation it's a BODGE.

it NEEDS fixed asap.

do all sounders work? (service should have confirmed this)

is audibility OK? (1st service by your comapny should have detailed this)

is the fault listed on the service report? (if yes surely customer would question it, if not your companies taking full responsibility for any resulting loss which with a fire alarm could be a HUMAN LIFE)

my advice - get your line manager on to this ASAP, please!

C

:yes:

thanks maton-what if you don't hve wiring diagram for panel and there is 20 sdrs what is the quickest way of findin the last sdr so u can but the eol in it, ur prob going 2 say go around every one open it up untill u find it. but on big site this can be time consuming any other ideas/methods

I.D. the circuit that has the eol at the panel (ring good circuits and mark with tape) and ,sorry, but more than likely you gotta open the remaining sounders - you could try and pick roughly where you reckon half way is,meter it and if you're getting juice to there stick a battery on the outgoing pair to see whats ringing and do same again until you get a feel for the way it's running.

I've not much on tomorrow sure I'll pick it up for you :rolleyes:

thanks guys only new to the security inustry and my company has threw me out 2do fire inspections giving me no trainning whatsoever can they do this??can i do fire inspections with no fire qualifications???

Not if they are selling maintenance contracts indicating that it is being done under Section 46 of BS 5839-1:2002 + A2:2008 (competant person and all that).

No one should be shooting you on here btw,it's your company.

You working for a new company or one of the smaller ones in NI mate?

Hope I didn't come across as flaming you blitzy as I assure you I don't mean it that way just trying to be clear that's all

as matonTE1 says you shouldn't really be out doing FA services untrained and un supervised

your not a fault and your many times better than most for coming on here and trying to find answers off your own back

Agreed, and agreed. It is a bodge, and there is NO excuse for not finding an EOL on any circuit. As already said by others, it's simply a case of division, and noise (or lack of). And leg work.

It certainly is NOT a variation, and it isn't acceptable practice either - again, as pointed out, the panel will never be able to indicate an open circuit - effectively rendering the circuit totally useless, potentially.

Another example of where standards have slipped soooo badly. Whatever happened to (a) noting the EOL locations for detection AND bells inside the panel, and (B) as a failsafe, putting a black permanent marker dot, or E on the last device on a circuit???

It isn't even as though either of these things require a great deal of intelligence.

Audibility should be checked on every 100% service IMO, or after any change to the building. Most subs don't have a clue - and many will try to insist on a service without operating sounders - and again, IMO BAD. BAD, BAD practice. Your service contract should insist on an out of hours visit at appropriate rates if the client doesn't want to be "disturbed" during work hours - sure as hell they're going to be a lot more "disturbed" if they find themselves facing a culpable manslaughter, or corporate murder charge, because they didn't want their sounders tested, and then they didn't work during an evac.

And finally - in total agreement with C - get your line manager on this now, and if he isn't interested, escalate past him - he should be sacked if he ignores it.

Bill.

:fear:

it's NOT a variation it's a BODGE.

it NEEDS fixed asap.

do all sounders work? (service should have confirmed this)

is audibility OK? (1st service by your comapny should have detailed this)

is the fault listed on the service report? (if yes surely customer would question it, if not your companies taking full responsibility for any resulting loss which with a fire alarm could be a HUMAN LIFE)

my advice - get your line manager on to this ASAP, please!

C

:yes:

Bill

Accord Fire & Security Services Ltd.

www.accordfire.co.uk ~ TEL: 0845 474 5839

I.D. the circuit that has the eol at the panel (ring good circuits and mark with tape) and ,sorry, but more than likely you gotta open the remaining sounders - you could try and pick roughly where you reckon half way is,meter it and if you're getting juice to there stick a battery on the outgoing pair to see whats ringing and do same again until you get a feel for the way it's running.

I've not much on tomorrow sure I'll pick it up for you :rolleyes:

Not if they are selling maintenance contracts indicating that it is being done under Section 46 of BS 5839-1:2002 + A2:2008 (competant person and all that).

No one should be shooting you on here btw,it's your company.

You working for a new company or one of the smaller ones in NI mate?

rather not say where im workin - for obvious reasons Maton

Apart from all that has already been said ...... why would any engineer / company pass over this fault when they could be charging the customer for correcting the problem.

Makes no sense to me.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Archived