Security Installer Community

Should Have Bought It Last Week

Mattyg2004

Hiya folks

First thing Hi, first post an all

I was going to order some CCTV and a standalone networked DVR. This week.

In fact I was going to order the cameras last night when I got back from Shopping but, As I pulled into my drive I saw the front door wide open. Yep Burgled(scumbags)

Were we an easy target Yes

We left our house at about 5pm (still light) leaving the blinds open and no lights on. Then went to see parents for Dinner arrived home at About 7:45pm

With no lights on and the blinds up it was pretty obvious no-one was home.

Weird thing is they only took my other half's Laptop leaving my satnav and her purse on the table in plain site.

So as there is now a possibilty of a return trip we are after beefing up security now. So am after a little advise.

Are these Cameras worth buying.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONY-1-3-CCD-480-TV-...1742.m153.l1262

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONY-1-3-CCD-540-TV-...1742.m153.l1262

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONY-1-3-CCD-540-TV-...1742.m153.l1262

I only need 2-3 Cameras(but may buy more in the future See ALARM bit) So will buy the expensive ones if need be.

Next would be the DVR I'd need it to be network able. and stream over the internet. (the DVR is my sticking Point)

Finally the Alarm I've pretty much ruled out wireless.

Any recommendations Is is worth getting a monitored ADT or like Or getting a pay once.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/L1-NEW-8-ZONE-HONEYW...1742.m153.l1262

Obviously with getting CCTV an Alarm and a beefier front door If I can save a bit here and there without compramising two much that would be great

cheers in advance Guys.

My Heads up my a*se at the moment been one of those weeks

Matt

id be more inclined to sort an alarm out, as cctv would not of helped you here and alerted no-one to their presence.

Monitored alarms from whoever (ie police response, guarding response, keyholders etc) are obviously preferable in most cases over audible only but only the person performing the risk assesment can advise really.

Also an audible only is cheaper but then lots of things are cheaper.

Get 3 quotes, dont buy on price alone and check the person designing the system designs something around you and your needs/risk rather than what they want etc. Id also wait on the cctv front. Might be useful to protect your car but IMO shouldnt be used as a rule to protect buildings

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

id be more inclined to sort an alarm out, as cctv would not of helped you here and alerted no-one to their presence.

James

Absolutely.

However I believe they were in the house for only a few secs just enough time for them to grab the laptop and run so CCTV may have helped Identify.

Hindsight is a B*tch

Absolutely.

However I believe they were in the house for only a few secs just enough time for them to grab the laptop and run so CCTV may have helped Identify.

Hindsight is a B*tch

Sorry to hear you were burgled Matt, the main thing is they didn't get to much and you are doing something about it.

Where abouts in the north west are you Matt, feel free to give us a call for a quote and some free advise.

I would agree with redbull, alarm first and cctv second. These systems complement each other but do not replace each other. If they used the front door to gain entry and only stayed a few seconds, an alarm may not have sounded until after they left due to entry times on the alarm.

I personally not a fan of alarm only solutions, they are necessary as if you are the only one in the area without one, you are the most likely to be burgled plus they are only proactive in a deterent value and useless if no one reacts to the activation, in such an event a good CCTV image could offer some recourse and even more deterent value.

As for ebay be carefull your not robbed again! Quick look at the spec and description I don't believe a word of it and the bracket looks chinese which is not a good start (not that all are bad but too many are).

Just so you are aware some alarm manufacturers offer PIRs with built in cameras that when triggered are capable of sending an image via a dialler unit but they are already in the house at this point and prevention is better than cure. This may sound calus but part of security is making your house seem a more risky target than others around it.

If they used the front door to gain entry and only stayed a few seconds, an alarm may not have sounded until after they left due to entry times on the alarm.

Only if badly designed!

Sorry to hear the news, its always a shock when you find out you have been burgled..

If you do get cctv (after an alarm, which should come first) then make sure you have that dvr either well hidden, or well locked down - as if not they could just spend a few seconds extra in the house and walk away with your dvr.

You need to slow them down long enough so you can respond to any alert from an alarm, and remotely view / download the footage.

Or you need to be able to ensure that your dvr can upload footage to a remote location automatically (or email it) when the alarm is activated.

CCTV can come in handy, I have caught quite a few things on camera, one is currently with the police (and may go to court).

Try to get a dvr with as much storage as possible, I am still to this day kicking myself over letting footage of a robbery in our back yard (nice big alu ladders) get deleted.

I did not know the ladders had been stolen at the time. If I had noticed they were gone I could have had the footage.... But they were missing for to long before I noticed they were gone.

Only if badly designed!

True actually! We do not do alarms so I am not that familar but I presume that you mean another sensor being triggered that isn't on the entry loop. Over here (Ireland), PIRs are mainly used upstairs and contacts downstairs (which would not have triggered).

Or am I missing something, I am asking out of curiousity and as a result of my lack of knowledge on alarms. I'm am not questioning anyones abilities or expertise just would genuinely like to know what the standard alarm installation would contain and how the standard installation differs from Ireland which would have waited for the entry time to expire before activating the alarm (unless they went upstairs that is).

Archived