Security Installer Community

Upvc Windows

Hello there, not sure if this is the right forum to post on but here goes: We live in a large cottage which is in a very rural location. Recently we have extended the cottage some 2x the origional size of the cottage and had fitted UPVC windows and doors to the extention. The origional house has UPVC windows and doors fitted some 10 yers ago. Now my worry is that the old windows have locks on them that lock if you push the button on the handle, the new windows on the extention need a key to lock them. In the event of a fire in the old part of the house you may get confused and push the button on the handle to open the window-but this would lock you in. Also should there be a fire in the new part of the house and the windows locked for security you couldnt get out! My feeling towards window locks is that they are useless even on wooden windows as any robber would just smash the glass and gain entry through the opening-happend in our last house which was rented. I'm looking at having non lockable handles fitted to all windows as there is no point and should they smash the window a lock is useless and we could get out in a fire! Plus should they get in the alarm would go off and sound 3 master blasters plus call me anyway! What are your thoughts?

i wouldnt remove your locks, 1 id bet they are an insurance requirement, and making a window safe to climb trough is very hard. If you think its that easy keep a hammer by each window for fire purposes.

If you think fire is a real risk then get a fire alarm and get the early warning.... then you wont need to use your windows to get out.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Plus should they get in the alarm would go off and sound 3 master blasters plus call me anyway!

... also, don't forget that Master Blasters will only work with a mains electricity supply, also trip switches, they do 'pop'

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Hello there, not sure if this is the right forum to post on but here goes: We live in a large cottage which is in a very rural location. Recently we have extended the cottage some 2x the origional size of the cottage and had fitted UPVC windows and doors to the extention. The origional house has UPVC windows and doors fitted some 10 yers ago. Now my worry is that the old windows have locks on them that lock if you push the button on the handle, the new windows on the extention need a key to lock them. In the event of a fire in the old part of the house you may get confused and push the button on the handle to open the window-but this would lock you in. Also should there be a fire in the new part of the house and the windows locked for security you couldnt get out! My feeling towards window locks is that they are useless even on wooden windows as any robber would just smash the glass and gain entry through the opening-happend in our last house which was rented. I'm looking at having non lockable handles fitted to all windows as there is no point and should they smash the window a lock is useless and we could get out in a fire! Plus should they get in the alarm would go off and sound 3 master blasters plus call me anyway! What are your thoughts?

As James said, check your insurance first as they may require you to lock all windows when the house is empty..

But I would change the locks on the old windows to the same as the new ones.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

I bet as well it will be an insurance requirement to have window locks. Check your policy!

but only to ground floor windows and any upstairs ones easily accessible.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Archived