Security Installer Community

Location Of A Control Panel In A Block Of Flats?

mgx

Talking from experience and having two brother-in-laws who are firemen, the fire brigade like to enter a building and be able to see the panel and not look around for it. That does not mean it has to be seen from the street, if you worried about all the cables then why not have main panel which has all the main cables going into it located in a cupboard then have a fully function repeater panel (which are normally smaller) located near the entrance, this will still need a cable but only one.

Good luck

Kev

Landlords got to cover common areas (L4) AFAIK.

Important the Fire Risk Assessment is done correctly by someone qualified & experienced IMO.

C.

What's AFAIK ???

...It also depends on the building structure, the compartmentation and the fire separation between the flats and the common areas.

If they are private flats I would ring Building Control for your area and confirm you need a fire alarm system first....they can have all sorts of strange requirements such as a heat detector in each flat... but not sounders if there is a stay put policy in place.......

Do some homework before signing the order.....

This is a building of private flats. We had the fire assessment done by a large and well known firm per the regs (managing agent sent us a bunch of material, and I did my own research, so I'm pretty sure this applies to us -- http://www.lacors.gov.uk/lacors/upload/19175.pdf -- see Case Study D12 [might need to access the PDF via. the news article below first]) - also a number of other similar buildings in the area have been going through the same thing, all a result of 2004/2006 regs, and more recently, July 2008 (http://www.lacors.gov.uk/lacors/NewsArticl...s.aspx?id=19844) extra guidance. We also received correspondence from the LFB that our building had not had an assessment done. As a director, even if we could get away without it, I'd rather we erred towards being safe and having it done. But I do like the idea of speaking to BCO for any special requirements and will do that. I'm also going to seek out some extra quotes for the work. Many thanks for all of your wise and considerate inputs.

As a director, even if we could get away without it, I'd rather we erred towards being safe and having it done.

If only more people in your position was like yourself.

Adi

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

g) In premises in multiple occupation with communal parts, main control and indicating equipment

should be located within a communal area, such as an entrance hall. Where no communal parts exist,

the equipment should be sited in an area to which access is possible at all times that the premises are

generally occupied.

And I can't for the life of me find the reference but I thought common areas have to be protected to L2 Category... it may be in part 6.....

g) In premises in multiple occupation with communal parts, main control and indicating equipment

should be located within a communal area, such as an entrance hall. Where no communal parts exist,

the equipment should be sited in an area to which access is possible at all times that the premises are

generally occupied.

And I can't for the life of me find the reference but I thought common areas have to be protected to L2 Category... it may be in part 6.....

There is reference to the control panel being in a protected area, is that the one you mean?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Archived