Security Installer Community

Location Of A Control Panel In A Block Of Flats?

mgx

do regs not say it "has" to be visible from outside then?

Checked the regs and they say that a fire alarm panel should be sited where it is easily seen

IE near the main door

Peter Robinson

Freelance

M:07889038650

It's suggested if the building is empty for long periods that the fire alarm can be seen from outside so the brigade can access what's going on.

The position of the indicating equipment really comes down to the design of the system, where the brigade are likely to gain entry, where staff can check the panel and hear faults etc.

Each situation will be different, the shopping centre one I gave as an example was manned during the day in a control room so the panel was located there, out of hours the brigade needed a display at the entrance they used so one was added. Design of the system is almost always going to be custom in larger buildings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

It's also recommended to have a strobe outside the entrance where the panel is located particularly on monitored systems within buildings with multiple entrances. This is to direct the fire brigade directly to the panel location.

not really helping the O/P in his quest to have it hidden is it - LOL

I'm not sure he wants it hidden. I presume he ideally wants to have it sited where cabling can be installed aesthetically.

... so the best recommendation is have the panel fitted where you want and have a mimic panel sited near the exit

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

I'm not sure he wants it hidden. I presume he ideally wants to have it sited where cabling can be installed aesthetically.

... so the best recommendation is have the panel fitted where you want and have a mimic panel sited near the exit

I'd rather it be back about 7m from the entrance and adjacent to a lift shaft at the bottom of the stairwell,

yeah that`ll be easy to wire to?

so that it is not visible from the street.

Ahh you see?

Is this allowed?

apparently not - his call then

Thanks for all the feedback, yes it is mostly about aesthetics and cabling rather than hiding (I have some additional concerns about the use of trunking for the wires in the stairwell, we'd rather pay for it to be chased and touched up, I don't want the installer to take the easy way out and happy to pay to do the job as we want it, so need to set expectations clearly ahead of time). But out of this thread I'm more aware now of the issues and can prepare myself for an enlightened discussion.

As a side note, there are actually two buildings next to each other, for all intents and purposes they are independant and self contained, but identical in structural layout and features - each have their own mains distribution boards, their own entrances, their own lifts, their own tv antennas and distribution systems, etc. The residents of one building don't have access to the other. Both buildings however are part of the same freehold. The two quotes we have intend to install one single control panel (no extra strobes or panels either) to cover both buildings. But funnily enough they have quoted two separate document boxes and sets of log books, one for each building. Does this make sense? Could and should we have two separate systems - e.g. if an alarm is tripped in one, it will impact both, and someone may not be able to get into the other building to reset it? Just because the freehold owns both halves, does that mean they need to be connected (because, arguably, on the other side of us, is another similar building - i.e. london townhouses - owned by a different freehold, and of course our alarm isn't linked to theirs).

Unless there any adjoining doors or structural weaknesses that would enable fire to penetrate the dividing wall then two independant systems is the way to go.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Long term one system is going to be cheaper, one service, one set of batteries etc etc.

Last time I did a job like this there was a shared porch which is where I put the panel, in this case I would simply use a repeat panel next door backing on to the main panel, it's going to be easier to install as one system I think as well.

Just a quick thought, the panel can be in a locked box as long as you can see all the indicators and hear the fault buzzer.

On addressable you have to be able to scroll the alarms as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Archived