Security Installer Community

Location Of A Control Panel In A Block Of Flats?

mgx

Hi, I'm a director of a freehold building that has 36 flats and our fire assessment has flagged the need to have an alarm system installed. The inside of our building is quite nice and before we commission the work (

Hi, I'm a director of a freehold building that has 36 flats and our fire assessment has flagged the need to have an alarm system installed. The inside of our building is quite nice and before we commission the work (

"25 years of experience has taught us to care about the smaller jobs and given us the expertise to succeed in the larger ones"

2 choices

1 Have it sited 20 feet from the entrance and then hope no-one is ever put at risk by the decision

2 Have it sited in the right place and sleep well.

B&Q, Tesco, Asda don't want their fire panels near the main doors ...... but they have them there cos they know it's the right place.

Hope that helps you to decide.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

If the flats are in blocks with several main entrance doors you may well need a repeat panel at every entrance, the axe and welly brigade, sorry fire brigade, around my way want to see the panel as soon as they get inside the front door, on shopping centres we use a mimic panel at the main fire brigade entrance route with a lamp showing the are in fire and a small repeater showing the text information from the panel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Good points - of course I do need to discuss with the system designer (obviously since they sign off on it, they will have the last call!), but I wanted to get a feel for what is/isn't allowed before I do. What's the main risk issue between it being at the door, or a few metres back. In the latter case, it is still at the bottom of the stairwell / exit to lift that is the only exit route for the building. Is the risk that fire dept want to see which lights are flashing to know where the problem is, or the same for anyone exiting the building if the alarm is in progress?

If the building is on fire with smoke pouring out the fire brigade will still need to look at the panel for the 'first alarm' to determine where the seat of the fire is, that's not so easy if the panel is in a corridor with zero visibility...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Archived