Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9448+ ~ How Do You Power Down System ?

itworks22

Hi - came home today and switched off burglar alarm as usual - no problem - excepting some minutes later (I probably triggered an internal Passive infra-red sensor) the internal box sounded. I was able to switch it off using my code but this only lasted until my movement triggered the alarm again.

After repeating this several times, I entered Engineer's Access code which is the default for a Scantronic and immediately saw that the original installation company's engineer had marked the Yuasa backup battery install 8/99 replace 8/02. As I'm a computer engineer, I have various batteries for UPS and had a replacement and swapped it over.

Having now read these forums, perhaps I should have powered down the box first ?

But I wouldn't have dreamt of touching anything else in any case.

What concerns me now is that the battery I've put in albeit new must be 3 - 4 years old - will be flat as a pancake - and probably as near bad as the one that's been taken out. So, I've ordered a fresh one due in tomorrow.

After I closed the box, the tamper light was still lit and the internal box sounds again some minutes later - this time entering my code only delays the internal siren for a minute or so. The control panel looked OK - nothing obviously damaged and I was wondering whether I have followed the correct procedure for changing the battery ?

Right now, I've gone back into Engineer's Access mode (all the lights are flashing).

Can I leave it in this mode for 12 hours or more until I get my new battery ?

It did occur to me that the problem may be with the external bell box as we've had torrential rain today in the South but that may be coincidental now I know the Control Panel's battery is 9 years old. Is there a similar battery in the external bell box too ?

I did phone the installers but they weren't very supportive (it was after 5 o'clock in fairness) but I could do with some technical advice please.

Thanks

Alan

Sounds like a tamper fault ... and quite likely to be the external unit. .... so yes, leave it in engineer mode overnight and get it sorted tomorrow.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

I did phone the installers but they weren't very supportive (it was after 5 o'clock in fairness)

Do you have a service contract with this company?

If you do, I suggest you find another company to take over the system and give you the service you are paying for.

If no contract, get one, then they will come out (in the rain, if necessary)

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Do you have a service contract with this company?

If you do, I suggest you find another company to take over the system and give you the service you are paying for.

If no contract, get one, then they will come out (in the rain, if necessary)

we get this all the time , we fit new builds mostly,,

then two three years down the line you have people phone you at 8 , 9 at night asking us to sort there probs out?

but they aint never been interested in a service contract?

i had one last week wanted to know why i wouldnt go out to one of her propertys strait away cus one of her tennants had nocked keypad off the wall at ten at night and about 60 mile away????

i said we only fitted it to the house for the builder and if you dont take out service conract then we dont do out of hours non contract calls!!

Hi - came home today and switched off burglar alarm as usual - no problem - excepting some minutes later (I probably triggered an internal Passive infra-red sensor) the internal box sounded. I was able to switch it off using my code but this only lasted until my movement triggered the alarm again.

After repeating this several times, I entered Engineer's Access code which is the default for a Scantronic and immediately saw that the original installation company's engineer had marked the Yuasa backup battery install 8/99 replace 8/02. As I'm a computer engineer, I have various batteries for UPS and had a replacement and swapped it over.

Having now read these forums, perhaps I should have powered down the box first ?

But I wouldn't have dreamt of touching anything else in any case.

What concerns me now is that the battery I've put in albeit new must be 3 - 4 years old - will be flat as a pancake - and probably as near bad as the one that's been taken out. So, I've ordered a fresh one due in tomorrow.

After I closed the box, the tamper light was still lit and the internal box sounds again some minutes later - this time entering my code only delays the internal siren for a minute or so. The control panel looked OK - nothing obviously damaged and I was wondering whether I have followed the correct procedure for changing the battery ?

Right now, I've gone back into Engineer's Access mode (all the lights are flashing).

Can I leave it in this mode for 12 hours or more until I get my new battery ?

It did occur to me that the problem may be with the external bell box as we've had torrential rain today in the South but that may be coincidental now I know the Control Panel's battery is 9 years old. Is there a similar battery in the external bell box too ?

I did phone the installers but they weren't very supportive (it was after 5 o'clock in fairness) but I could do with some technical advice please.

Thanks

Alan

To be fair you almost certainly do need a new battery, even a previously unused battery that has been lying around for a few years is likely to be in deep discharge and may not recover.

Having said that I doubt that the battery was causing the problem, the fact that it appeared to trigger went you walked through a detector is likely to be coincedental. It sounds like an intermittent tamper fault and given the torrential rain the external sounder is prime suspect.

To be fair you almost certainly do need a new battery, even a previously unused battery that has been lying around for a few years is likely to be in deep discharge and may not recover.

Having said that I doubt that the battery was causing the problem, the fact that it appeared to trigger went you walked through a detector is likely to be coincidental. It sounds like an intermittent tamper fault and given the torrential rain the external sounder is prime suspect.

Lawandorder - thank you very much for your comments.

Now that it's daylight, I'll get the ladder out at the external box - presumably there's a battery up there that also needs replacing every few years ? Over night I've had the system in Engineer Access mode with all lights flashing - something I worked out for myself in the absence of any input from the Security Co.

Personally i dont think the company are at fault. You also shouldnt be able to put a system into engineering mode yourself. Its a seperate subject though.

I can see you think the security company should have done more to help you, but they will of offered you a service agreement which would of (i assume) included out of hours and in hours call outs etc. From what i can see apart from the engineer mode bits they have not done anything different to us or any other professional security company.

Good luck with your problem though

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived