Security Installer Community

Cctv System

Rob101

Hi all, I need a cctv system to monitor our back garden as we got burgled last night.

The back garden is huge about 140m long to the garage. There is a driveway that leads up to the garage from the road.

I need to monitor this driveway.

There is on 1 flood light around the side of the house but this only lights up the back garden slightly.

I will need 3 cameras and will use my pc as the hardware. I would preffer to stream the video over the net if possible.

Can anyone give me some advice on what I need please?

hi Rob101,

1st off, i'm as as others are very sympathetic you have sufered a burgalry, i hope the loss/damage was not too bad, and covered by insurrance. we could suggest many wonderful ideas but none could be held accurate without a proper site visit.

most of us understand your annoyance at the invasion of your personal 'castle', and you'd like to be in a room with them for just 5 mins, its a very natural reaction seen quite often after being called in post burgalry. what you thought was secure and safe is no so now, this has a bigger effect in safety confidence with female partners and the elderly.

often we will be asked to secure everything, even a fly passes wind off go's the alarm, but our job is to absorb this and turn it round to sensible affordable solutions as often the loss is in damage caused, often far more than what was stolen.

short of building a 360% moat, having manned machine gun posts and grant mitchel as a personal bodygaurd, nothing electronic can legally stop an inrussion if the intruder is prepared to take a risk. all you can do is hope to make the 'visit' as short as possible so reducing loss and damage.

what ever you have installed will need some sort of response either by you, neighbours or Police (in which case needs a lot more than

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Thanks again for the good advice.

I need some sort of system to alert me when there is a intruder on my premises at night.

I will let the dog deal with that.

But in the day there is no one there. I work self employed locally so I could call back or just phone the boys in blue.

Maybe a camera just to alert me that there is an intruder in the garden somehow?

hi,

i have experienced seeing a burglary in progress inside our home when i was young. Its very frightening experience.

I suggest that you look for a DVR surveillance system that has advance video analytics like motion tracking and object detection and gives you SMS alerts or email alerts when somebody entered your pre set perimeter.

Hopefully this advice helps.

• 2 weeks later...

that would be an led based one?

They dont have the range compared to tungsten ones, if you use bulb based ir units you will have to chnage lamps, if you use LED's then you wont but you wont see much in the dark either in comparison to a bulb.

The way id look at is 500w Floodlight v 70LED's? Which one would you prefer to light the lawn?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

that would be an led based one?

They dont have the range compared to tungsten ones, if you use bulb based ir units you will have to chnage lamps, if you use LED's then you wont but you wont see much in the dark either in comparison to a bulb.

The way id look at is 500w Floodlight v 70LED's? Which one would you prefer to light the lawn?

we have a couple of led units and seemed ok, until i put a dennard on the camera in the tree and that was so bright

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

Had good results with a derwent uniflood led in the backyard, Im sure it seems brighter on camera than the 500w floodlight (normal, not IR) did that was there before (but the bulbs never lasted that long, got sick of replacing them).

Cheap to run, max say 50w at most compared to 500w...

Course its useless when I want to go out in the yard at night, cant see a b***dy thing with it being IR only compared to the original floodlight. But great on camera, and no bulbs to replace.

i mean 500w IR's Ken.

Granted the Derwent is a good unit for LED but still cannot put the same amount of light out as a bulb.

need to compare like for like, so would you rather use an LED torch or a bulb torch?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived