Security Installer Community

Cctv System

Rob101

Hi all, I need a cctv system to monitor our back garden as we got burgled last night.

The back garden is huge about 140m long to the garage. There is a driveway that leads up to the garage from the road.

I need to monitor this driveway.

There is on 1 flood light around the side of the house but this only lights up the back garden slightly.

I will need 3 cameras and will use my pc as the hardware. I would preffer to stream the video over the net if possible.

Can anyone give me some advice on what I need please?

Hello & Welcome

Heres our forum guide to CCTV - http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/Content/cctv_guide.asp

To help our members help you further consider and provide more details:

What do you want the system to do?

e.g deterent, general viewing or actually identify the burglar in a manner suitable for prosecution by the police.

What budget do you have to spend?

e.g Argos type stuff for under

Hi, The PC I have in mind to run the cameras is:

AMD semperon 3100+

512mb ram

Geforce FX5900 Graphics card

I can not remeber what the motherboard is

OS XP home

The pc is about 3 years old

What do you want the system to do?

e.g deterent, general viewing or actually identify the burglar in a manner suitable for prosecution by the police.

All 3 options preferably

What budget do you have to spend?

e.g Argos type stuff for under

Guest anguscanplay
I have read a little about the software to activate recording on movement detection.

Could I have audio played to alert me of movement?

Thanks for the help so far.

i used to use a freeware programme called "homewatcher" that basicly took a snapshot evry second and filed away any frames with a change in them - alerts too, but not sure if its still available

problem is cctv is reactive not proactive, can you increase physical security first?

I will have look at homewatcher.

Having some solid gates installed 6' high just beyond the garage with a lot of barbed wire on top.

This will seal off the drive way down to the road and prevent people from seeing up the drive way.

Thanks for the help anguscanplay

Guest anguscanplay
Thanks for the help anguscanplay

no problem, I know I always sound negative in this type of thread but invariable it isnt actually CCTV thats the answer

hope they catch the //.B.W.F.//

no problem, I know I always sound negative in this type of thread but invariable it isnt actually CCTV thats the answer

hope they catch the //.B.W.F.//

:withstupid::lol:

CCTV may be a tool to aid with the apprehension of intruders BUT it is certainly not the be all and end all of security. Some many times have i witnessed images from very good cctv systems and to be honest most times the images were ok but not the best things in the world :(

Now only having

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

The garage does not have any power to it being so far away from the house.

I also havea shed with no power that needs to be monitored so that would be elec installed x2 and alarms x2.

But in the day time the alarms will go off but there is no one around to hear them as I live in a remote area

The problem with the back garden is there is only 1 small bedroom window looking on to it and a pair of patio doors from a ground floor room, which at night time 12pm+ is not occupied.

CCTV may be a tool to aid with the apprehension of intruders BUT it is certainly not the be all and end all of security. Some many times have i witnessed images from very good cctv systems and to be honest most times the images were ok but not the best things in the world

Now only having

Archived