Security Installer Community

Norton Anti Virus

fertilebert

Symantic ghost was a cracking product back in the day, so was norton disk tools etc, even there anti virus offerings were ok back years ago, but times have changed a lot on how much a product can bind itself in with the operating systems and tbh the majority of antivirus software is like that these days, but as the operating systems get more complex so do the viri.

although not used it for a few years, i'm with Cubit on my dislike for Norton.

early days i trusted it and got burnt, tried several times since - just got burnt even more. been to people with computer problems, removed Norton 1st action - no more problems.

system often seems to be behaving then suddenly for no reason nothing works, symptoms are often just locks up solid on start-up logo, one of the main things it is expected to prevent by the buyer. if you know how to use F5 and previous known working load you can often get back enough to dump Norton.

to actually get properly shot of it, you need to go into 'regedit', search and delete all references to Norton - this is even after you have uninstalled it from control panel or used their uninstal routine :realmad: .

if you need an 'all-in-one' them kaspaski or McAfee are a far better bet in my experience

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Norton is indeed a resource hog and, in many poeple's view, is inefficient at best. I used it for a while until it let through some malware which I thought it should have stopped.

I now use a mix of various free - and remarkably effective - software for AV, antispyware and so on.

to actually get properly shot of it, you need to go into 'regedit', search and delete all references to Norton - this is even after you have uninstalled it from control panel or used their uninstal routine
Yes, this is a known problem with Norton. Symantec have a Norton Removal Tool (NRT) to do the removal completely. It's at the link below BUT BE CAREFUL .... this tool will remove everything the list says. It will leave nothing.

So if, like me, you still use Ghost (it's still fine for my purporses, DaleR) the NRT will delete it. OK if you have the master program disks to reinstall but a worry if not.

Link to the NRT > http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039

(for some reason the Symantec site is loading a bit flakey at the moment. You may have to refresh the page to get it fully loaded).

OJ

Norton is indeed a resource hog and, in many poeple's view, is inefficient at best. I used it for a while until it let through some malware which I thought it should have stopped.

I now use a mix of various free - and remarkably effective - software for AV, antispyware and so on.

Yes, this is a known problem with Norton. Symantec have a Norton Removal Tool (NRT) to do the removal completely. It's at the link below BUT BE CAREFUL .... this tool will remove everything the list says. It will leave nothing.

So if, like me, you still use Ghost (it's still fine for my purporses, DaleR) the NRT will delete it. OK if you have the master program disks to reinstall but a worry if not.

Link to the NRT > http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039

(for some reason the Symantec site is loading a bit flakey at the moment. You may have to refresh the page to get it fully loaded).

OJ

I succesfully used the above tool on a PC recently, the PC was running really slow until I got rid of Internet Security and installed AVG, it's fine now.

we use Sophos at work but I prefer AVG fro my own PCs.

I'm another "Norton Virus" hater; I see it messing up PC's far too often.

When it works properly (which is probably most installations most of the time) it's fine.

It can be a resource hog on older/slower machines or inadequate memory and startup can take ages.

When it goes wrong it goes SPECTACULARLY wrong. And this is a far-too-frequent event.

I succesfully used the above tool on a PC recently, the PC was running really slow until I got rid of Internet Security and installed AVG, it's fine now.

we use Sophos at work but I prefer AVG fro my own PCs.

thanks for the link,

what annoys me is why is that not the standard removal tool? t

they well know the one shipped will not clean it out? :bruce_h4h:

just means i steer well clear of anything symantec branded out of suspicion :angry2:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Yeah I tried it once, hated it went to uninstall it, then spent a while removing all traces of it properly..

I've got McAfee on mine, works annoying sometimes as I've turned bits off I don't need and it kept reminding me until I made it remember not to tell me...

With regard to "FF3" I tried it on mine, don't know if it was an addon I use a lot, one of the few that's not been updated to work with FF3, but it crashed on load, was removed and I'm using FF2 which is still being updated will try FF3 again later. Only use it as I hate ActiveX the biggest security HOLE ever created where legitimate looking innocent controls can get hijacked and bang your machines open to whoever set the trap.

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Only use it as I hate ActiveX the biggest security HOLE ever created where legitimate looking innocent controls can get hijacked and bang your machines open to whoever set the trap.

Is this true? What does Firefox use instead?

Archived