Security Installer Community

Telephone Wiring Advice Needed

Guest anguscanplay
a dialler will sometimes work with dsl, online but a digi will or modem (for sms) will rarely work.

what about earthing it to a gas pipe maybe ?

can we distinguish between voice dialer that i was referring to, and digi com please as both very different devices.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
can we distinguish between voice dialer that i was referring to, and digi com please as both very different devices.

regs

alan

you also got your connections mixed up should be - 2, 3, 5 (A, BC, B)

cheers

Angus

regs

alan

Agreed, but all should be filtered. You might get away with it most of the time on some speech diallers but personally id always advise best practice.

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

what about earthing it to a gas pipe maybe ?

what are you on about now?

safety earth bond strapping is very obvious as the reference the tag also points out, as far as i know metal gas pipes have been bonded to other services to drain any static discharge from causing sparks, obviously changed where later composite pioes are used - butthen there would be ni bonding to it to use - would there?

ideally a 6ft stake is driven into the earth for an earth point, but rarely done retrospectivaly for telecom needs, given it might be knocked through the incoming gas, electric, water or sewer main by accident especially by a diy'er so a great idea - not!

i suppose your 'safety advice' would be to recommend to whack it in with the earth terminal on the spur? after all it's 1mm so meeting minimum recommended requirements :rolleyes: .

my footer clearly states standing advice on competence.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
what are you on about now?

safety earth bond strapping is very obvious as the reference the tag also points out, as far as i know gas is bonded to other services to drain any static discharge from causing sparks.

ideally a 6ft stake is driven into the earth for an earth point, but rarely done retrospectivaly for telecom needs, and might be knocked through the incoming gas main by accident by a diy'er.

so i suppose you would recommend to whack it in with the earth terminal on the spur? after all it's 1mm meeting minimum requirements :rolleyes:

regs

alan

your not allowed to use service pipes for return earth paths its as simple as that, unfortunatly most members of the public wouldnt know the difference between a main bond and an equipotential bond (TBH its not even an area I concern myself with for exactly this reason) so if they follow your advice of earthing it to the nearest point with a label they may even be putting 240v though their shiny new towel rail - ouch

Archived