Security Installer Community

Telephone Wiring Advice Needed

YAWN ..... there is no ring signal on terminal 3 - its broadband, go try it with your test meter. Doesnt matter what phone your using - on broadband !!!!

what are you going on about

I`m more qualified than you are, thats for sure. You blew it when you advised the O/P to connect his dialler to earth via a local gas or water pipe, go ride your bike or wash the dog or something else useful for a change till this thread concludes

you want to run with this in public when there is a trade thread YOU started without understanding the content?

i will say hear - your wild 'advice' to ignore my post will likely deter a novice from applying any sort of earth incase they get a shock - absolutly and totally crazy and irresponsible way to conduct yourself in the public forums.

we can't explore it fully in here because toyally unqulified people will be confussed with the debate raised - so act your age instyead of your shoe size and show you have at least SOME common sense - however unlikely that is ever to happen with you.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

goes off to take piccy of my own BT fitted phone extenstion run up and back down the same cable

what you do in your own home is your affair, read the post about if BT get called to your clients home.

anyone doing as Angus is suggesting i suggest any bills from BT be addressed to him.

people, if you consider running cable is supposed to be part of our profession, not running a few feet of wire to do the job properly is shear un-excusable laziness, and by a 'profesional' person you would expect to conduct his own trade with some pride.

approved regulators beware!

regs

alan

right people,

now had time to get the truth of this sorted, after all the flak i took from ner do wells read on and decide who was actually right -:

"The main earthing cables run from either the Main earthing terminal, which will be close to the consumer unit or the earth bar in the consumer unit itself, some regional electricity companies require the main bond from the service pipes to connect to their earthing point. Earthing wire is easily identifiable as it is green and yellow".

followed by

Main equipotential bonding is not difficult to understand (is for Angus though) and basically involves running a 10mm2 Earthing wire from either the Main earthing terminal or the Earthing bar in the consumer unit and should be securely clamped to the incoming metal water, gas and Oil service pipes using a suitable Earth clamp. The main bonding must be carried out on the customers side of any meter, Main stopcock or insulating insert and must be connected within 600mm of either the first valve, or the entry point to the premises.

the link to the real story not angus's flights of fantasies

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/earthing_main.htm

so i hear thats a handymans site so try tghis for size -:

Two types of equipotential bonding conductor are specified.

1. - Main equipotentiol bonding conductors

These conductors connect together the installation earthing system and the metalwork of other services such as gas and water. This bonding of service pipes must be effected as close as possible to their point of entry to the building, as shown in {Fig 5.13}. Metallic sheaths of telecommunication cables must be bonded, but the consent of the owner of the cable must he obtained before doing so. The minimum size of bonding conductors is related to the size of the main supply conductors (the tails) and is given in {Table 5.6}.

2. - Supplementary bonding conductors

These conductors connect together extraneous conductive parts - that is, metalwork which is not associated with the electrical installation but which may provide a conducting path giving rise to shock. The object is to ensure that potential differences in excess of 50 V between accessible metalwork cannot occur; this means that the resistance of the bonding conductors must be low (see {Table 5.7}). {Figure 5.14} shows some of the extraneous metalwork in a bathroom which must be bonded.

relevant link -:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/5.4.3.htm

i will now wait for apologies especialy those claiming they are qualified electricians and the obvious wanna be's, to see who are the real adults are on this site buig enough to admitb they were so wrong - school is now out!! B)

regs

alan

Did you not say to connect it to any old pipe or words to that effect?

Who is to say said pipe is continuous back to point of entry, and who is to say the installation has the necessary bonding? older properties certainly lack it.

As a point, main eq bonding has been redefined in the 17th ed....which is currently in the transfer phase....

Rather than quoting the above regs, I would prefer a link that details why the CW1308 cannot be used as previouslt mentioned.

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

Did you not say to connect it to any old pipe or words to that effect?

Who is to say said pipe is continuous back to point of entry, and who is to say the installation has the necessary bonding? older properties certainly lack it.

As a point, main eq bonding has been redefined in the 17th ed....which is currently in the transfer phase....

Rather than quoting the above regs, I would prefer a link that details why the CW1308 cannot be used as previouslt mentioned.

just to say anyone working with electrics or the safety aspect of them please employ a qualified electrician - and just hope he is not as confgussed as we seem to be.

any further comment from me will be in the trade thread as requested.

regs

alan

Guest anguscanplay
what you do in your own home is your affair, read the post about if BT get called to your clients home.

anyone doing as Angus is suggesting i suggest any bills from BT be addressed to him.

people, if you consider running cable is supposed to be part of our profession, not running a few feet of wire to do the job properly is shear un-excusable laziness, and by a 'profesional' person you would expect to conduct his own trade with some pride.

approved regulators beware!

regs

alan

er I`ll repeat myself - goes off to take piccy of BT installed cable in my own house, installed by BT for the previous occupier using BT equipment and BT branded goods where the line is run up and back down the same cable by BT

well done Arf - you now got another member added you to your ever growing list of people got you on ignore

regards

Angus

Archived