Security Installer Community

Telephone Wiring Advice Needed

thats why you connect to the telephone out of your panel.. they would be diconnected when the line was needed

If the line is busy, the panel has no need to dial out because I am in the house. I am quite happy with this. My only interest in having panel connected to the phone line is so that the panel can send me an sms message. It has no need to do this if I am at home.

So I need to know how to connect the A and B terminals to my phone line.

Ian

Hoof

Your missing my point. If anyone breaks in and you havnt wired the phone line as recommended and they pick up ithe phone and engage it.... what happens?

Thats why the recommendation is to wire as detailed or use a dedicated line.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Hoof

Your missing my point. If anyone breaks in and you havnt wired the phone line as recommended and they pick up ithe phone and engage it.... what happens?

That's a valid point. I hadn't thought of that. So it looks like I need to wire the telephone as recommened. How do I do this? Do I break into the incoming pair of wires before they split into 2 pairs? Or do I do this with the 2 pairs somehow?

Ian

The only way you can do it if you want to share a line...(if you really have to that is)

is to take the line to the router/modem first, then from there to the intruder alarm. Then you can filter it so that a everything after the alarm is filtered, the alarm wont signal on an unfiltered line.

Then wire all extensions from the a/b 1 connections.

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

The only way you can do it if you want to share a line...(if you really have to that is)

is to take the line to the router/modem first, then from there to the intruder alarm. Then you can filter it so that a everything after the alarm is filtered, the alarm wont signal on an unfiltered line.

Then wire all extensions from the a/b 1 connections.

James

That sounds good, but I'm still short of knowledge on how to make the actual connections. Whenever I've connected up a telephone extension previously, there have been 2 twisted pairs. ie 4 wires. Are 2 of these ununused?

Ian

That sounds good, but I'm still short of knowledge on how to make the actual connections. Whenever I've connected up a telephone extension previously, there have been 2 twisted pairs. ie 4 wires. Are 2 of these ununused?

Ian

take a pair from number 2 and 5 from the BT master socket to a and b in the panel,then ideally your rest of the house socket from a1 and b1 to extention socket.

hope this help.

My Bosch Abacus Evolution is capable of sending sms messages.

are sure it don't need a modem cards sticking in a slot?

All I have is the board schematic which labels the connectors: A, B A1, B1 and E. Can anyone tell me how to connect a telephone cable to these?

Simpe A is for cable A & B is for cable B, cable C is not required A1 & B1 I assume are for serial disconnection, E is for earth

De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da. De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da

take a pair from number 2 and 5 from the BT master socket to a and b in the panel,then ideally your rest of the house socket from a1 and b1 to extention socket.

hope this help.

I just took the front off my master socket. The terminals to which the incoming wires are attached are labelled 'A' and 'B'. (see photo). So now this sounds quite easy. I'll connect into my alarm panel later. But something occured to me....

We have microfilters on ADSL lines so that both services can operate simultaneously on the same line. However, the alarm panel will not normally be active and therefore will not interfere with my adsl router. And when the alarm needs to make use of the telephone line, it will cut off my adsl router in order to have exclusive use of the line. So I think I will find that everything will work without an additional microfilter.

Ian

post-13615-1213016102_thumb.jpg

twisted pair? ran in cat5 I assume

a telephone line is 1 pair + bell current

I've never really known what was what in this regard. But no i'm not talking about cat 5 cable. Just ordinary telephone extension cable. It usually has two or more pairs of which 2 pairs are connected.

Archived