Security Installer Community

4 Way Cat 5 Balun Question

hi guys,

:hmm:

going CAT5e or not for the pro's is a mattter of preference, me i'm not over sold on it. but the thing i consider is can the O/P terminate a CAT5e plug and also have the kit to test it properly? his spend will be the crimp tool and simple cable mapping tester so he is

I assume that the cat 5e connectors you refer to are the same as ethernet computer network ones. In which case I should be ok as I have cabled my companies network myself and terminated the ethernet connections successfully too. However I am aware that they can be a Ba****rd if your not very careful to keep the twists right up to the plug. Do the multi way baluns generally use the same connectors to transfer to the cat5e as ethernet?

no, i just strip the cat5 and connect in pairs to the balun, normally in a large JB.

I assume that the cat 5e connectors you refer to are the same as ethernet computer network ones. In which case I should be ok as I have cabled my companies network myself and terminated the ethernet connections successfully too. However I am aware that they can be a Ba****rd if your not very careful to keep the twists right up to the plug. Do the multi way baluns generally use the same connectors to transfer to the cat5e as ethernet?

no, i just strip the cat5 and connect in pairs to the balun, normally in a large JB.

Cat5 is as easy to terminate at a crimp on BNC.

A few weeks ago we fitted 4 x static cameras over 150m from the DVR.

We fitted a 4 way balun at each end then coax from the balun to the final location of the camera.

Instead of running 600m of coax we ran 150m of cat5, the labour time was cut by 60% so i made 40% more proffit on tha job.

cat5 all day long,

run it along side a steel wire armoured your asking for trouble but take the basics of running a coax and you aint gona go wrong.

The 4 way baluns tend to also have basic crimp connections for the o/p, get the colours right and bobs your uncle. :)

tbh rather than faff arround with crimping plugs on the end of a cable, i find it's far quicker, neater and easier to run your cat5e to a socket, then use a ready made

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

tbh rather than faff arround with crimping plugs on the end of a cable, i find it's far quicker, neater and easier to run your cat5e to a socket, then use a ready made

If you have to drill a 18" wall for 4 x coax you would need a 20mm, bit could take a long time if its a tough wall.

1 cat 5 will fit through a 8mm hole.

If you have to drill a 18" wall for 4 x coax you would need a 20mm, bit could take a long time if its a tough wall.1 cat 5 will fit through a 8mm hole.

just like i said Whistle,"imo CAT5e only pays on longer or more difficult runs, and where it has to be concealed say in offices or domestics, but it only takes a little more effort to pull in 4 cables than just one - if your organised properly.

so why did that prompt such a silly remark by you? if your running cables along a wall it has to be clipped regular intervals, i can run a plastic tube way faster than i can clip into a hard wall and more securely than fixing to a sandstone brick wall.

i can then fish in 4 coax's (25mm plastic) with little trouble. so less fixings = less time taken with a neater and far more durable result, and remember i work all on my own and i'm 59 - so i have to be organised :yes:

if cables are run through lofts especially on commercial premises, they are vulnerable to vermin attacks from squirrels, mice and rats. CAT5e is far far easier for them to chew through and damage than decent RG59, so if the installer is at all prudent then CAT5e needs mechanical protection for a true pro job, so i.e. running cables in conduits or capping and adding to the install time as well the material cost's.

not so much protection is required with RG59, very easy to put a kink in CAT5e and problems may occur, much harder to kink coax, and it tends to survive that mishandling better.

so i'm not saying your wrong in any way with your opinions (which your fully entitled to) favouring CAT5e, i don't treat it as a 'bed of roses' just stating my own views (which i am also entitled to) for the o/p to best judge for himself.

sort of common sense based on my experiences and nothing to do with cattle - or horses for that matter ;) .

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived