Security Installer Community

4 Way Cat 5 Balun Question

I am installing some cameras about 120m from my dvr. The cable runs through roof spaces etc and is not particularly easy, though possible. Therefore I am looking at using cat 5 cable in order to minimse the labour involved. Can I run cat 5 to a 4 way balun at the camera end, then transfer to rg59 for upto 20m within the shop area to be monitored, or does the balun have to be very close to the cameras?

cheers

I am installing some cameras about 120m from my dvr. The cable runs through roof spaces etc and is not particularly easy, though possible. Therefore I am looking at using cat 5 cable in order to minimse the labour involved. Can I run cat 5 to a 4 way balun at the camera end, then transfer to rg59 for upto 20m within the shop area to be monitored, or does the balun have to be very close to the cameras?

cheers

Yes you can do that

We have many times.

cheers

very common configuration,

you can also get 4 way Tx's and Rx's which will do this job very conveniently. you have to decide though if the cost of the extra kit and time spent on the extra connections required is actualy cheaper/better than running 4 RG59 cables.

regs

Alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

very common configuration,

you can also get 4 way Tx's and Rx's which will do this job very conveniently. you have to decide though if the cost of the extra kit and time spent on the extra connections required is actualy cheaper/better than running 4 RG59 cables.

regs

Alan

rg59 coax everry time imho its is a much better configuration for the type of cable, never did like the cat5 way personally.

regards

sat :lol:

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

rg59 coax everry time imho its is a much better configuration for the type of cable, never did like the cat5 way personally.

regards

sat :lol:

100% dont agree.

We have used cat5 on many installs saving

satsuma01

Is that CJT electrical?

The one with the xmas lights?

:no:

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

hi guys,

:hmm:

going CAT5e or not for the pro's is a mattter of preference, me i'm not over sold on it. but the thing i consider is can the O/P terminate a CAT5e plug and also have the kit to test it properly? his spend will be the crimp tool and simple cable mapping tester so he is

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived