Security Installer Community

Optima Xl6 - Flat Backup Battery?

Had a power cut on Saturday and the outside bell box came on (doesn't usually during a power cut).

The panel was dead - Couldn't enter the code or reset to kill the alarm. Luckily the power came back before the neighbours got really annoyed :P

I'm guessing the the backup battery has died; No power to bell box causing it to trigger, dead panel.

The alarm is at least 7 years old, so I guess the battery has probably had it.

Before I dig the manual out (put away in a safe place 7 years ago, hope I can find it!) or take the panel apart, does my diagnosis sound reasonable, and does anyone know a model number or part number for the battery to save me taking it apart twice to find the part number and then to fit it once I've got the battery?

Thanks,

Al.

Hi Al, Your diagnosis sounds correct-the panel will take any battery from a 1.2-6.0 Ah-proberably best to take the lid off and directly replace whats in there at the moment-obviously when you take the lid off it's going to go into tamper-just put your code in to shut it up-when you've put lid back on just reset the panel.

Regards Richard-Conwy Intruder Detection

I'm guessing the the backup battery has died

Thanks for the answers.

Just had a look - Battery is a Yuasa NP2.8-12 and the off-load/off-charge voltage is only 11.65 :(

New battery ordered - Hopefully it is just the battery and not the charging circuit!

Al.

I Deffo agree with Scottish Engineer, check the charging circuit's Optima's have a tendancy to blow them after a deaded battery! And as previously said get an engineer to check the correct battery required (when you get it serviced)!

New battery is in and system now works as expected with mains power removed.

However, I will remove the mains power for half a day and check the charging current on reconnection once the battery is drained a bit :)

Al.

• 11 years later...
1 hour ago, alan67 said:

Possibly the ultimate necropost ....

That replacement battery lasted 11 years, replacing it again now!

You mean you didn't change it for 11yrs doesn't mean it would always work lol