Security Installer Community

Mcb Trips

arfur mo

hi guys,

we have one of those 5 branch lights in the lounge, all is fine but every time a bulb blows it drops the mcb out killing all the lights in our medium size bungalow. this happened again on Thursday, and left the ruling 'alf in darkness for 3 hours - very happy she was not i can tell you.

she has had recent replacement knee surgery so i have banned her from the garage wheere the fuse board is in case she trips over on all my junk (and damages my custom motor bike :P ). as it happened this mcb tripped moments after her mother left (so might have been 'back draft' from the broomsticks turbo i expect), the next door neighbour was out for the day and i got delayed in the easter traffic getting home.

the same problem has expired several dimmer switches over the time, when a bulb blows caused them to become ordinary light switches, so is there any way of overcoming this problem like fitting a choke?

i could fit, but we don't 'fancy' the low energy lamps and they don't dim unless you buy the really expensive ones as far as i know :unsure: .

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

You can get light bulbs with Ballotini fuses built in that are supposed to fuse out before the MCB trips. It's hit and miss wether they work though. You could try swapping the lighting breaker for a C6 type, rather than the B6 that is likely in there at the moment. Type C breakers are slightly less prone to nuisance tripping caused by bulbs blowing.

Trade Member

You can get light bulbs with Ballotini fuses built in that are supposed to fuse out before the MCB trips. It's hit and miss wether they work though. You could try swapping the lighting breaker for a C6 type, rather than the B6 that is likely in there at the moment. Type C breakers are slightly less prone to nuisance tripping caused by bulbs blowing.

I would go for a 10A MCB.

Trade Member

hi guys,

we have one of those 5 branch lights in the lounge, all is fine but every time a bulb blows it drops the mcb out killing all the lights in our medium size bungalow. this happened again on Thursday, and left the ruling 'alf in darkness for 3 hours - very happy she was not i can tell you.

she has had recent replacement knee surgery so i have banned her from the garage wheere the fuse board is in case she trips over on all my junk (and damages my custom motor bike :P ). as it happened this mcb tripped moments after her mother left (so might have been 'back draft' from the broomsticks turbo i expect), the next door neighbour was out for the day and i got delayed in the easter traffic getting home.

the same problem has expired several dimmer switches over the time, when a bulb blows caused them to become ordinary light switches, so is there any way of overcoming this problem like fitting a choke?

i could fit, but we don't 'fancy' the low energy lamps and they don't dim unless you buy the really expensive ones as far as i know :unsure: .

regs

alan

Candle lamps Alan or GU10?

Candle lamps are a bugger for this problem, as already mentioned a type C or possibly a D would stop it but you would have to check the disconnection time was <5 seconds under fault conditions. Also possible the circuit could be split into two to reduce load and lessen the chance of this happening.

You can get GU10's that are fused if you ask for them, costalot but worth it if it's causing problems?

Or as you suggest yourself use flourscent? B)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

QFA, alot of these new designer type lights need the c type. Try that as Scott said arf, it normally sorts it.

Cheap GU10 lamps are well known for taking out the trip when they "blow" or in some cases all other GU10 lamps on the same circuit. If these are the type of lamps you are talking about change them all for the likes of Osram or Phillips.

Ignore the post advising you to upgrade to a 10 MCB.

Cheap GU10 lamps are well known for taking out the trip when they "blow" or in some cases all other GU10 lamps on the same circuit. If these are the type of lamps you are talking about change them all for the likes of Osram or Phillips.

Ignore the post advising you to upgrade to a 10 MCB.

if the mcb is a type 'b' then replace with one of the same rating but with a type 'c' but make sure you earth loop test the circuit to make sure the installation is with in the limits of the mcb reading.

cheers

colin

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

Archived