Security Installer Community

Diy Regulations / Standards

magpye

LOL - I told you why above (follow the link) people fail to grasp that the rules are written in several places and "pulled.." together under health and safety legislation

simple example

how many diy`ers have fitted there 490x in the airing cupboard, or next to the boiler in the pantry WITHOUT checking the bonding ? (bet you its everyone of them.......!!)

while i agree a legally the diy'er could fall foul of some of it in extended circumstances, by drawing on so many not directly associated bits of legislation just widens the possible interpretations. we don't have specific legislation i.e. "though shalt NOT fit thine own intruder alarm".

and anyway, seems like you, i love doing a bit of bondage - big boy ;)

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
Sorry, not me. :ninja:

And Angus, I think you forgot to read the initial question thoroughly before launching into full flow :lol: , it was quite explicit about what area was being queried and it was NOT electrical (or noise regulations).

"To clarify, I mean alarm system regulations, ( PD:****, EN:**** etc ) NOT electrical or noise pollution"

right sorry I understand now - magpye is asking from a manf. point of view not the installer

Hi there, I'm hoping someone can give me a simple answer, I can't find it anywhere.

Could you tell me,does a DIY alarm system in any way fall under the control of any of the British or European standards?

When I say DIY I mean just that, a kit bought from a high street shop and installed by any man in the street, not an alarm installer.

To clarify, I mean alarm system regulations, ( PD:****, EN:**** etc ) NOT electrical or noise pollution

yes of course it does PD662 relates to how a product is to work ( ammendments are on the way soon - such as to how far a case can be prised off a wall before a back tamper is generated BTW) and any item has to carry a CE mark and EMI certification - Im sure there are more but maybe Cubit will know

but thats not what he means is it ? he means does a diy`er have to install to regs and the simple answer, however many times you ask and as often as you dont want to hear it is YES! (for the reasons given in my earlier post)

Angus

ps give him time arfur he`s only 7 LOL

Guest anguscanplay
we don't have specific legislation i.e. "though shalt NOT fit thine own intruder alarm".

but we do have a published standard - PD662 which shall be followed

When I say DIY I mean just that, a kit bought from a high street shop and installed by any man in the street, not an alarm installer.

A DIYer installing in his/her own property for their own use does not have to install to or follow EN/PD6662.

Neither would they need to installing for anyone else unless claiming to do so perhaps for payment.

Even 'professional' installers don't have to install to EN/PD as long as they don't claim to - plenty of ungraded equipment available at distributors, sheds etc for them to use.

Panel can even be plugged into a socket to avoid issues with electrical connection.

Could you tell me,does a DIY alarm system in any way fall under the control of any of the British or European standards?

I asked this EXACT question to the B.S.I.A.

Here is their reply >

"I forwarded your email to one of our Technical Officers, and his response is as follows :

I don't believe these "off the shelf" systems are designed to meet any current standards, however, they do fall under any legislation such as Town & Country planning act for Noise pollution (external Bell) and any electrical regulations / listed building requirements etc."

Now pull that to bits - I didn't say it

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

I asked this EXACT question to the B.S.I.A.

Here is their reply >

"I forwarded your email to one of our Technical Officers, and his response is as follows :

I don't believe these "off the shelf" systems are designed to meet any current standards, however, they do fall under any legislation such as Town & Country planning act for Noise pollution (external Bell) and any electrical regulations / listed building requirements etc."

Now pull that to bits - I didn't say it

In essence its correct, must not cause noise nuisance and if directly connected to the mains must comply with elec regs - not sure about Town & Country Planning Act though, more like Environmental Protection Laws on noise pollution.

Guest anguscanplay
A DIYer installing in his/her own property for their own use does not have to install to or follow EN/PD6662.

Neither would they need to installing for anyone else unless claiming to do so perhaps for payment.

Even 'professional' installers don't have to install to EN/PD as long as they don't claim to - plenty of ungraded equipment available at distributors, sheds etc for them to use.

Panel can even be plugged into a socket to avoid issues with electrical connection.

have you not bothered to read any of the previous posts in this thread? EN/PD6662 is the only way practical way to comply with the requirments for wiring contained within the building regs IE A LAW ( or are you another one thinks 12v dc isn`t wiring?) and the said requirments for wiring regs apply equally to a person installing for gain or a so called DIY`er.

I believe the electricity at work act carries some clout too

have you not bothered to read any of the previous posts in this thread? EN/PD6662 is the only way practical way to comply with the requirments for wiring contained within the building regs IE A LAW ( or are you another one thinks 12v dc isn`t wiring?) and the said requirments for wiring regs apply equally to a person installing for gain or a so called DIY`er.

I believe the electricity at work act carries some clout too

for the benefit of all Angus, why not just post the relevant paragraph?

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived