Security Installer Community

Cctv Over Cat5 Using Balluns

Mike J

Hi Guys

I think I may have answered my own question on this but I thought it was worth running past you.

Just did a job this weekend where I had to install 3 cameras into a garage on a domestic property. The client had an external Cat5 laid to the house so I figured that using Balluns was a great solution.

I got my cameras from Gtec Security (www.gtecsecurity.co.uk) and I asked if they had passive Balluns. They did at

not sure how much you know about CAT5e, but it has connection convention for colour code use. cheap LED testers offer very basic tests, a reasonable tester looks at cable mapping and split pairs, as with all test kit the better it is the more it costs.

The colour code should be as follows and IS important to adhere to _:

1 White/Orange

2 Orange

3 White/Green

4 BLUE

5 White/Blue

6 GREEN

7 White/Brown

8 BROWN

if the above is correct make sure the cables are full pressed down into the IDC connectors, if you don't have a punch down tool use the back of a stanley knife blade (with obviously greatest care taken for your own safety :rolleyes: )

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

:no: how rude

:hmm:

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

Not being cheeky but what way did you wire it all into a JB?

Have you tried putting signal from each balun down a pair? Green/White cam 1 etc

other thing is 414v 4 port Balun, rj45 into hub then Co-ax to each cam

Have used a number of them with no problem

as for the

Make sure each camera is using a single twisted pair, you may have one using a pair and the other 2 crossed.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived