Security Installer Community

How To Install An Alarm?

ricool

Guest anguscanplay
hi ricool,

as you have some electronics experience you should fair better than say many a plasterers or firemen for example :) .

many electricians install alarms thinking it is a simple matter for they have experience in running and connecting cables :rolleyes: , as for fault finding well put it this way imo it takes 3 years + to train an installation engineer to a reasonable standard he/she can be left to deal with any system and let loose in your home, and a further 3 years after that to train a service engineer to diagnose and /or spot many fault's before they happen.

i really wish you well as i'm sure most will, and you have every success and please ask your questions, but also please realise this is not a training school.

also consider please a pro install will most likely reduce your insurance premiums and thats year on year by say 15-20%.

regs

alan

Wuss - when did you sell your scrupples then

Arfur mo extoling the virtues of an " insurance discount " to get himself off a warning - priceless

:hmm: there has been no warning placed on me matey :no: mainly because there has not been a reason (even if there is the desire)

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I'll tell you, get rid of the Public Forum, !!..DIY Alarm Installers..!!

What's the point of this Forum when almost every DIY, note, DIY, questioner is ridiculed in one way or another or told to 'get a quote'?

Most of the so called 'answers' in this thread and most of the other DIY Forum threads bare no relevance to the question, so why bother to answer (answer?), as has been requested many times in the past, if you have nothing constructive to offer, say nothing.

hi magpye,

the o/p askes for relevant material to enable him to install his own alarm system, now i'm not alone in being guilty of going into several kitchen showrooms with the size of my kitchen, let them plan it for me, produce the drawing all to scale, then on the way home buy the units from Wicke's in a sales week for self install.

if the o/p call's in a pro installer he will then get (hopefully) at the very least a verbal plan of a system, in many cases a written specification with all the detector locations and positions, so i/.e. the relevant details he requires free gratis, not very nice tactics perhaps, but very effective.

so he gets defacto 'relevant advice' appertaining to his personal situation and requirements' which we can't do as we have not seen his premmises, now please tell me how much better can the advice be than to call in a pro and get a quote from several pro's? as i'm now completely baffled to suggest a better method.

regs

alan

http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/Cont...diy_install.asp

One of our non-trade members wrote the basic article linked above.

If someone would like to add any further "considerations/guidelines/recomendations" to the article then let me know.

Also Many queries get asked over and over again, perhaps a FAQ page is also needed.?

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Excellent answer ,to many people on here only come on to ridicule some of the genuine people who need help,and their only answer to this is to reply ,get someone in .Surely we can give advice without having to say get someone all the time.

Thank you, but, what I will also say is, that one person not a million miles from this thread got no more than they deserved following their first post to this Forum.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

hi magpye,

the o/p askes for relevant material to enable him to install his own alarm system, now i'm not alone in being guilty of going into several kitchen showrooms with the size of my kitchen, let them plan it for me, produce the drawing all to scale, then on the way home buy the units from Wicke's in a sales week for self install.

if the o/p call's in a pro installer he will then get (hopefully) at the very least a verbal plan of a system, in many cases a written specification with all the detector locations and positions, so i/.e. the relevant details he requires free gratis, not very nice tactics perhaps, but very effective.

so he gets defacto 'relevant advice' appertaining to his personal situation and requirements' which we can't do as we have not seen his premmises, now please tell me how much better can the advice be than to call in a pro and get a quote from several pro's? as i'm now completely baffled to suggest a better method.

regs

alan

I was only commenting on posts #2 & #4 that have now gone, it was the tone.

#3 & #5, ok, but the guy wants to DIY, that's why he asked a perfectly reasonable question in the DIY area!!!

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/Cont...diy_install.asp

One of our non-trade members wrote the basic article linked above.

If someone would like to add any further "considerations/guidelines/recomendations" to the article then let me know.

Also Many queries get asked over and over again, perhaps a FAQ page is also needed.?

IMO no matter what is written it will not get read. :no:

Most people find the forum and just ask their question not realising many members will have answered or seen the same question many times over.

What about making the search facility, existing guides, rules (Inc about user/eng manuals/codes) more obvious by an automatic e-mail upon new new members joining? (if that can be done :unsure: )

C.

:)

I was only commenting on posts #2 & #4 that have now gone, it was the tone.

#3 & #5, ok, but the guy wants to DIY, that's why he asked a perfectly reasonable question in the DIY area!!!

hi magpie,

i understand where your coming from, some of the replies were unfortunate, i too don't like inexperienced forum newbies being bullied or made to look small by arrogant or sarcastic 'pro' replies.

we get caught betwixt and between when giving advice, as ultimately we can be held responsible. it is why when a poster shows evidence of little experience the best advice is consult a pro who will come the his home and discuss all relevant aspects with them.

having had several such quotes will add the the o/p's knowledge base, explore things not thought about and so allow for better decisions to be made, maybe even he will go with a pro install of his own kit, so no bad thing as i see it.

far better than let anyone sail into it and possibly end up with an ineffective even dangerous system.

regs

alan

Archived